This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Using Sealer with Fel-Pro Gaskets

Easy ways to clean parts, remove broken bolts, etc.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Using Sealer with Fel-Pro Gaskets

Postby Stanton » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:18 am

Got a Fel-Pro head gasket from O’Reilly Auto Parts for my C113 engine on the AV. Metal on the bottom and fiber composite on top. Top had printed: SEALANT REQUIRED.

I was going to spray it with Permatex Copper Coat, but since this was the second time doing this gasket (first one the engine overhauler put it on w/o sealant and upside down), I wanted to get it right.

Went to the Fel-Pro website and they stated NOT to use sealant, that it might compromise the integrity of the fiber composite.

Now I have a contradiction: manufacturer states not to use sealant while the gasket says it’s required.

Called Fel-Pro. Technician said to use sealer only on the metal side (side facing down) of the gasket. He suggested using high tack sealer—I said I was going to use Copper Coat.

Why the “Sealant Required” was stamped on the fiber side is a mystery to me, but that’s what I did.

Think most head gaskets for Cubs are metal on both sides, which you’d spray both sides. I never saw a metal/fiber combo gasket before. Now I know.

When in doubt, call the manufacturer.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Using Sealer with Fel-Pro Gaskets

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:33 am

The Fel-pro Cub head gasket is also fiber / metal like the one you have for the AV. I use copper coat on the metal side, only. I've never seen one marked "sealant required" but it's been a long time since I've had one of those engines open.

Return to “Shop Tips”