This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A carburetor

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Alex Hart
Zip Code: 31551

Super A carburetor

Postby Alex Hart » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi, quick question involving a carb on my super A. It is a Carter, the bottom half has Carter UT stamped on it, with 0-652, and the top half has 0-653. is that how it is supposed to be or has someone jury rigged it? Thanks.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super A carburetor

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 am

There were Carter UT carburetors used on the Super A. The numbers you found are probably part numbers and could be the original configuration. Don't know details on that carb.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:32 am

Alex Hart wrote:Hi, quick question involving a carb on my super A. It is a Carter, the bottom half has Carter UT stamped on it, with 0-652, and the top half has 0-653. is that how it is supposed to be or has someone jury rigged it? Thanks.

Personally, I prefer a Zenith carburetor (more common on the Super A). While they both were originally offered, the Zenith is a better carburetor and parts are easily found. Not too sure about the Carters as it has been a while since I've fooled with one. If you got several Super A parts tractors recently, I would recommend having one of the Zenith carburetors on those rebuilt and use that one.......assuming they all 3 don't have Carters! :lol:
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 am

If the top half of your Carter carb is made out of cast iron, parts are readily available. If both halves are pot metal, some parts are non-existent.

The Carter carbs, in my limited experience, seem to be more common on the early 50s tractors. I have 3 1950 models in various states of disrepair and they all have Carters on them I don't have data to prove it, but they seem to start a little easier cold than my tractor with a Zenith.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:24 am

yeah, I think the issue with the Carters is more or less the availability of quality replacement parts.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:38 pm

I have a carter ut carb on my 1950 SA. those #'s your looking at are part #'s. Not 2 different types af carter carbs. I used to have tons of info on them but my laptop w? all the pdf files on them isn't working so I can't look it up at the moment, but like Super A (Al) said the cast iron tops are easy to get almost all the parts for. I had to get new floats and got a rebuild kit that came with the jet, needle n seat, idel jet, main jet, throttle shaft and many other parts from Stiener tractor but others also carry parts for those UT carter carbs. I like mine mainly because of the valve on bottom of bowl so when I want to store the tractor for weeks to months it easy to drain the carb. Other than that they seem simmilar to the Zenith on my cubs.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Ol Timey Farming LLC wrote: I like mine mainly because of the valve on bottom of bowl so when I want to store the tractor for weeks to months it easy to drain the carb. Other than that they seem simmilar to the Zenith on my cubs.

Zeniths and Marvel-Schreblers had a drain like that too. They were for the distillate/kerosene tractors.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022