This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another question (144 cult. rear arms)

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar
Circle of Safety: Y

Another question (144 cult. rear arms)

Postby BullDAWG » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:04 pm

My SA has the regular SHORT ARMed 144 cultivators, my problem is I have the tractor spaced to drive over 4 ft. wide raised beds and the rear arms for the feet don't go out far enough for them to cover the tire tracks (I actually want to put hillers there to throw dirt onto raised beds) any ideas of how to extend them? Did IH make some that are longer? I was told the "CUB" arms that are slanted (45 deg. vs 90 deg. like mine) are longer and should work...

Any help would be great, thanks........ Chris
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Another question (144 cult. rear arms)

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:55 pm

I'm not sure if your beds are 4 feet, plus the space between them, or if the beds are 4 feet on center.

To my knowledge, there were three versions of the rear gang beams for the Super A.
1) Short with 90 degree bend. This beam has a round front that goes straight into the bearing. It is for rows up to 44 inches.
2) Longer with 90 degree bend. The beam bolts to a separate gang beam head that goes into the bearing. It can reach rows up to 58 inches.
3) Long with about 45 degree bend. This bolts to a gang beam head like #2. It works with rows up to 68 inches.

If your beds are 4 feet on center, either options 2 or 3 would probably work. If your raised beds themselves are 4 feet, you should be OK with option 3. The beams for the Cub cultivator don't share any parts with the Super A cultivator. I don't know if they would interchange or not.

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Re: Another question (144 cult. rear arms)

Postby BullDAWG » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:24 am

Jim Becker wrote:I'm not sure if your beds are 4 feet, plus the space between them, or if the beds are 4 feet on center.

To my knowledge, there were three versions of the rear gang beams for the Super A.
1) Short with 90 degree bend. This beam has a round front that goes straight into the bearing. It is for rows up to 44 inches.
2) Longer with 90 degree bend. The beam bolts to a separate gang beam head that goes into the bearing. It can reach rows up to 58 inches.
3) Long with about 45 degree bend. This bolts to a gang beam head like #2. It works with rows up to 68 inches.

If your beds are 4 feet on center, either options 2 or 3 would probably work. If your raised beds themselves are 4 feet, you should be OK with option 3. The beams for the Cub cultivator don't share any parts with the Super A cultivator. I don't know if they would interchange or not.

Yes Jim, and I was told that the cub with the 45 deg beams are the same as option 3, the round end on both the cub and the SA that goes into the bearing are the same diameter so I could just pull the carter pin and replace the beams with some from a donor cub cultivators. The raised beds are 4' wide so I have my SA set to max out on right side and offset out 2" on left to put the tires over 4' apart. I actually like the look of it as it then looks like a Super C with a wide front end (tractor looks like its NOT offset anymore) Though the front end king pin is still offset. But it looks more like a regular tractor as the short axle side is offset out while the long axle side isn't offset hardly at all... It feels more stable on slopes this way too. I just wonder with this offset what the weight on each wheel would be.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan