This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A timing gears

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bt73000
Zip Code: 27574
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall A
1950 Farmall Super A
1955 Ford 640
1965 MF 135 Diesel
1966 JD 4020 Diesel

Super A timing gears

Postby bt73000 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Working on my 50 SA, removed oil pan when I bought it to clean before use and found metal filings and a worn crankshaft and hydraulic oil pump gear. Ran approximately 5 hours this summer and removed pan again to inspect and found more filings in the oil pan. So, removed the front end and gear cover to inspect further. Crank gear looks to be badly worn as well as the hydraulic oil pump gear which is no surprise cause I noticed that last time the pan was down, but the cam and governor gear don’t look as bad, though I can measure around .050 backlash between the gov and cam gear. Is the wear on the gear train on these tractors common and would just replacing the crank and pump gear be sufficient? I know the old gears fill wear the new ones, but really how fast considering 5 to 10 hours a year. Also found the governor thrust bearing cage and balls wrecked when I removed the governor housing. Some of the metal from this failure may have caused some of the gear wear. I also used 15/40 rotella oil this summer and that could have loosened up some laid out metal filings and washed them down to the pan this time for the second inspection. Looks like it’s going to run around $450 to replace the four gears with aftermarket parts.

bt73000
Zip Code: 27574
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall A
1950 Farmall Super A
1955 Ford 640
1965 MF 135 Diesel
1966 JD 4020 Diesel

Re: Super A timing gears

Postby bt73000 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:46 pm

Just wanted to post that I did change all the gear train on this tractor while I had it apart. If I had it to do again, I would have not. The crankshaft gear was very difficult to remove. Had to heat and pull at the same time and it ended up seizing to the crankshaft snout and I ended up cutting it off with a grinder. Plus I was concerned about how hot I was having to get the front of the crank and bearing. Anyway the jobs done and it runs great.