This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plowing with a 140

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Saucymynx
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49816

Plowing with a 140

Postby Saucymynx » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:28 pm

Had a chance to play in the dirt with my 140 this weekend. I have a 296 two bottom plow and I’m expanding my garden. In my reading on other sites, folks say that the tractor needs 15 to 30 hp per bottom to pull a moldboard plow. So I am really impressed with my 17 hp 140. I was able to turn heavy sod, plowing about 10 inches deep in second gear. She did a beautiful job. The only problem I had was with a very low tree stump that I was unaware of - until I was! So I wonder how the 140 does such a great job with such low horsepower, and of course only 2wd. When I was done plowing I spent some time with the disc, leaving a very nice field to sit over the winter

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Plowing with a 140

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Saucymynx wrote:Folks say that the tractor needs 15 to 30 hp per bottom to pull a moldboard plow.
I don't think so. If that were true, the IH Cub wouldn't be able to pull it's single bottom 10" moldboard plow.

Lot of factors involved in plowing; tractor size/weight, drawbar HP, number of moldboard bottoms, bottom size and type, soil type and condition.
I have an excuse. CRS.

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Eugene wrote:I don't think so. If that were true, the IH Cub wouldn't be able to pull it's single bottom 10" moldboard plow.

Cub pulls a 12" plow, and in my experience does it quite well.

The rule of thumb I've heard is 1HP per inch of plow bottom. Of course that will depend on soil, how deep you're plowing and how slow you're willing to go. Regardless of HP the tractor will need enough traction to pull the plow too.

I don't know that sod is necessarily difficult to turn - probably more important what soil is under it.

I have plowed with a Super A with a 14-2 plow in heavy clay and it was definitely too much plow for that tractor in those conditions.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:13 pm

One of the factors that has not been mentioned, plow adjustment is critical for minimizing draft (translation - how much power required to pull the plow) and doing a quality job of plowing. Improper adjustment also, for the most part, increases wear on plow parts. It pays to spend time reviewing the plow manual for setup instructions and then following them.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

lightninbug
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lightninbug » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 pm

I tend to run in 1st with the two bottom plow with my 130 for exactly that reason; that sudden stop in 2nd when I catch a big root is trouble I don't need, and the plow turns the clay fine regardless of the plowing speed. I too have been impressed with the work these tractors can do despite their relatively low hp. My guess is weight and torque make up the difference. Also, I read somewhere that the 17 hp rating is low and that its really 21 hp for drawbar applications. I can't vouch for that since I can't even remember where I read it. It's still well under your 15-30 hp per bottom.