This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A runs for a few minutes, then stales. Will start again after five minutes of sitting

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Berhidle
Zip Code: 13054

Re: Super A runs for a few minutes, then stales. Will start again after five minutes of sitting

Postby Berhidle » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:41 am

Thanks Don!

I am presuming I should use a lead additive for the fuel to avoid issues with the valve seats, correct?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super A runs for a few minutes, then stales. Will start again after five minutes of sitting

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:48 am

I would seal the inside of the tank, and it's crud. There are several products that would do that such as Redkot or POR.
Berhidle wrote:I am presuming I should use a lead additive for the fuel to avoid issues with the valve seats, correct?
Incorrect. No need for a lead additive.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Berhidle

Postby Berhidle » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestion to seal the tank! I’ll do that as soon as can.

For now, though: GOOD NEWS!!!

After flushing the tank and ‘surgically’ removing the junk in the tank, and flushing it out again, and then again...

It is running fine! Clean gas in the bowl, no sediment in it and it ran for over fifteen minutes without stumbling, hesitating or stalling!!

Thanks again for all of the advice! I am very grateful to all of you!

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:32 am

Glad you found the issue. Don't let the cost of the Redkot or POR sway you from sealing the tank. Whichever product you use, follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter.

If you don't want to go that route, then you could search for a good used gas tank that is free from rusty debris on the inside. Placing a Wanted ad here on the Vine or finding one locally would be your choices.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Berhidle

Postby Berhidle » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:20 am

Hello all!

Just a quick update on this:

Despite the fact that I was able to clean the majority of the deposits out of the tank, I’m still having issues with sand like rust coming through the line. It’s plugging everything up.

Being that I am in upstate New York – the Syracuse New York area – I’m dealing with cold temperatures. I don’t have a heated workshop that I can warm the gas tank in. This causes a problem, since the coating needs to be at least 50F to dry, not to mention anything I rinse the tank out with.

So, until I have warmer weather – that is around May or so – I can’t really seal the tank, but I still need the tractor for plowing.

Until I can seal the tank, what I have done is bought a 2 gallon gas can, drilled a hole in the lower side of the can, put a barbed nipple in and I have run the fuel line from that through a fuel filter to the carburetor.

The tractor is running great and I am happy with it at this point. I still plan on taking care of the tank, but as I said, the weather is not warm enough for me to take care of it at this point.

Thanks again for all of the advice!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:31 am

Just be sure that your temporary tank is very secure and neither it nor the rubber fuel line are near the exhaust system.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:38 am

a trick for cleaning the tank to get the rust broke loose is jack up the tractor, strap the gas tank to the wheel, put some small sharp stone inside it, let the tractor run in gear, it is now a tumbler and will clean the inside of the tank nice and shiny, done this several times, easier to do this with an A as the tank is only a couple feet long , when I do a cub tank I strap it on my backhoe as its long with the hood on it and use the stabilizers to jack the backhoe up high for clearance, I just leave it running and walk away, just check up on it once and a while, they look like new inside when done

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:07 am

This might provide an alternate fix until you can clean/seal the tank. There's some posts on the HOW TO (Fuel) subforum to solve these type problems. The one below is posted by Mr. Bill Hudson.
filter screen in tank.jpg

screen in tank.jpg
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:14 am

tst wrote:a trick for cleaning the tank to get the rust broke loose is jack up the tractor, strap the gas tank to the wheel, put some small sharp stone inside it, let the tractor run in gear, it is now a tumbler and will clean the inside of the tank nice and shiny, done this several times, easier to do this with an A as the tank is only a couple feet long , when I do a cub tank I strap it on my backhoe as its long with the hood on it and use the stabilizers to jack the backhoe up high for clearance, I just leave it running and walk away, just check up on it once and a while, they look like new inside when done

Tim did you ever take a video of this being done?
How long does it take?
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am

staninlowerAL wrote:This might provide an alternate fix until you can clean/seal the tank. There's some posts on the HOW TO (Fuel) subforum to solve these type problems. The one below is posted by Mr. Bill Hudson.
filter screen in tank.jpg

screen in tank.jpg

I’ve done this and it works for a while but will clog too in time. Eventually you have to properly clean the tank.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:07 pm

how long it takes depends how bad the rust is, I have done some in 15 minutes, had some take 3-4 hours, I do antique motorcycle tanks in the clothes dryer, same deal, put stone in them, wrap them up in a blanket and tape it in tight and tumble no heat, they come out like new, also learned the trick for popping dents out of small tanks suck as motorcycles, fill to the top with water, put in freezer, it expands when they freeze and pops out the dent, sorry no video

Berhidle

Postby Berhidle » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:50 am

staninlowerAL wrote:This might provide an alternate fix until you can clean/seal the tank. There's some posts on the HOW TO (Fuel) subforum to solve these type problems. The one below is posted by Mr. Bill Hudson.

Thanks for the advice Bill!

Sorry for the delayed reply. I’ve been buried and haven’t been able to get back here until now!

I bought a new bowl and it came with that screen on it. I still had trouble.

It turns out that there is ‘rust dust’ in tank, and it’s plugging the carb, and the bowl screen too! The tank screen is took course to stop it, and the bowl screen doesn’t get all of it.

I put an in-line filter in place, and the tractor ran for a while (20 minutes), but then that filter got plugged up.

After fighting with it, and needing the tractor, I gave up and bought the gas can... :wink:

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:25 pm

I remember someone posting about a magnet under the tank which helped to "capture" and hold small rust particules to prevent them from entering the fuel valve. The post included a picture of the trapped rust. I've never tried it but it should work.
EDIT: I searched the forum for "magnet under tank" and came up with about 50 hits. Here's one of them from Forum Member Big Dog:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34594&hilit=magnet+under+tank#p275672
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

SteveS
Zip Code: 35570

Postby SteveS » Fri May 08, 2020 2:17 pm

Hopefully you have it running by now. If not, you may want to make sure the vent on the tank, or cap is not blocked.