This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A Cuts off when plowing

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
stellafarmall
Zip Code: 28582

Re: Super A Cuts off when plowing

Postby stellafarmall » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:37 pm

Thanks for all the help guys! I put it all back together, thought I turned the gas back on and she ran like a top for
30 seconds. Then she cut off because I didn’t have the gas
Turned on! I thought it ran good and smooth before, but I was wrong cause she was running nice! I tried to crank her back up, she turned over real slow and puffed a little smoke and now
Won’t hardly turn over. It acts like the battery is about dead and the battery is only a month old. I may have left the switch on ore something, who knows. It acted like this before when the battery was dead last time. I disconnected the battery and put it in charge. I’ll let y’all know tomorrow night if this works! If not y’all might see it in the For Sale section!

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tinnerjohn » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:59 pm

I had to chuckle when I read the part that you left the gas off. I won't say how many times I've done that! Or tried to start with the switch off. Don't give up. Good Luck. John

stellafarmall
Zip Code: 28582

Postby stellafarmall » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 pm

Well I appreciate everyone’s help with my little situation. After cleaning the fuel system and charging the battery, I was able to plow our garden today! Everything went well and the tractor and plenty of power. I’m going to have to do a little research on the hydraulic lift on the three point hitch. Sometime it would act like it had a mind of its own and it would pick up or drop down without me working the handle. I haven’t changed any hydraulic fluids or anything on that yet. I also noticed my oil pressure we
Lower when I got finished. I didn’t see any decrease in performance, just lower pressure after about 1 1/2 hours of pretty hard work. I may tackle those things this week so I may come Back to y’all with another question or two! For now, here’s a pic of what y’all helped me family do! Thanks again!
Attachments
IMG_2182.jpg
IMG_2182.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 189 times

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:30 pm

Hi,
Nice picture, good that the tractor runs better.

If one or both Touch Control levers move by themselves, they probably need more friction at their bases to hold them in place.
There are round friction discs at the bases of them, where they turn.
The discs could be worn, so there is not enough friction.
It's hard to say without being there.

Below are pages from the Super A parts manual showing the levers and discs.
The discs are number 14 in the pic. It doesn't show there are adjustment nuts there, just the spring and a retainer. Number 20 is the retainer.
It looks like there were 2 different part numbers of discs, depending on the tractor serial number.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... %20230.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... %20231.jpg

Below is the Super A parts manual, if you need it. Some things may be different on the Super A-1.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

If the oil pressure gets lower when the engine is hot, it usually means the engine has some wear inside it. Using thicker motor oil in warm weather may help the oil pressure stay higher. :)