This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A Stumper: Troubleshooting points

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

A Stumper: Troubleshooting points

Postby Super A » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:24 pm

A while back I posted about replacing the point/condenser in my Super A and discovering the stud that holds the breaker point and condenser wire was stripped.

I got a new stud, cleaned everything up and put it all back together. The tractor ran fine afterward and I was proud of myself......so Saturday, I decided to use it to do some gardening. I cranked it up and let it idle while I got the hillers set up. I noticed at one point it wanted to run just a tiny bit rough but I didn't think anything of it. If I hadn't been right beside the engine setting the hillers I would probably have not noticed the tone of the engine change. But when I go in the seat, put it in reverse, and let out on the clutch it sputtered and died. Hasn't run since!

I've narrowed it down to a spark issue. I have power going to the coil, and from the coil to the stud on the side of the distributor. But if I manually open and close the points with the ignition on, I get a very intermittent, weak spark, and 95% of the time, no spark at all. If I remove the wire from the coil to the stud on the distributor and touch it to the stud, it sparks vigorously but the spark is yellow. I've filed on the points, took the stud and Bakelite washers apart to look for cracks/damage and didn't see anything. I also swapped the new condenser for an old IH one I had lying around--no change that I could tell. The parts I installed were Echlin from NAPA, not the cheaper kit like TSC sells.

I'm trying hard not to assume that the hoofbeats I hear are zebras but I'm starting to wonder if the coil is going bad. It's old, one of the IH coils with the + and - terminals facing towards the front of the tractor. I've never seen one fail outright like that though.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: A Stumper: Troubleshooting points

Postby tst » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 pm

coil I bet, need a nice blue spark

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 am

Either coil, or somehow points are grounded (partially or intermittently). However, you said you had inspected the stud for possible grounding issues, so probably coil.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:59 am

Condenser breaking down, = yellow spark. Reinstall old condenser.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:51 am

Rick Spivey wrote:Either coil, or somehow points are grounded (partially or intermittently). However, you said you had inspected the stud for possible grounding issues, so probably coil.

Yeah my first thought was one of those little plastic insulators was cracked. But if one of them is, I can't see it!

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby JoeB » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:19 pm

This may not fix your problem, but I have a run of bad condensers lately, new out of package. These have came from Brillman and from Steiner, there isn't a NAPA within reasonable distance from me. I have a pile of old take-offs and that is my go-to fix if I am not getting spark after changing Points, Rotor, Condenser.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:22 am

JoeB wrote:This may not fix your problem, but I have a run of bad condensers lately, new out of package. These have came from Brillman and from Steiner, there isn't a NAPA within reasonable distance from me. I have a pile of old take-offs and that is my go-to fix if I am not getting spark after changing Points, Rotor, Condenser.

same here

I started using NAPA for ignition parts. IH200 capacitor and CS1600 points both say NAPA ECHLIN. They are more expensive but less trouble.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:59 pm

inairam wrote:
JoeB wrote:This may not fix your problem, but I have a run of bad condensers lately, new out of package. These have came from Brillman and from Steiner, there isn't a NAPA within reasonable distance from me. I have a pile of old take-offs and that is my go-to fix if I am not getting spark after changing Points, Rotor, Condenser.

same here

I started using NAPA for ignition parts. IH200 capacitor and CS1600 points both say NAPA ECHLIN. They are more expensive but less trouble.

These were Echlin, brand new.

I replaced the coil, but I still couldn’t get power through the points. If I jumped between the “frame” of the two points with a screwdriver, I had lots of fire. I had some old points lying around so I filed the heck out of them, still nothing so I found another set and filed them and she fired up. I had already filed the new set a bit but for some reason they just wouldn’t let the fire get through.

Al

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”