Fertilizer set up issue

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Backtoroots7
Zip Code: 14487

Fertilizer set up issue

Postby Backtoroots7 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:13 am

Hello guys, please bear with me as I've never had a fertilizer set up, nor did my father or grandfather. Anyhow, have been looking for a while at picking up a fertilizer/planter set up for my super a or cub. I found one at a decent price, picked it up, and while getting things cleaned up at home, noticed an issue. The bases that I have are the normal single gear ones, but the hopper is an issue. The bottom is oval shaped, and has dual agitators, and thus dual gears set up. The gentleman I bought it from had recently bought the tractor and a pallet with the fertilizer set up on it, and a pallet with cultivators, so not sure if possibly it was just a hodge podge of parts. Ant hel pl would be appreciated. For what ita worth, I cant find the hopper in any manual nor a google search

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fertilizer set up issue

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:35 am

If you can post some photos of what you have, that will help in identifying them.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:09 pm

From your description, this is what you have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174796582079

However, this is what you need (could have galvanized or plastic hopper/lid):

https://www.agrisupply.com/fertilizer-h ... y/p/72896/

These don't mix. You need to find the right style.

Backtoroots7

Postby Backtoroots7 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:38 pm

Thank you mr Becker, that's the exact one I have. Guess I'll try and sell the hopper I have and buy the single, as I assume finding a drive unit for the double will be tough

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:16 pm

The A units, along with many other A specific implements, got a whole lot less use after the Super A came along. So the A mounting frames, drive units etc. may be hard to find. It would fit on a Super A (for side dressing, not with a Super A planter). But it requires all of it. The Super A drive sprocket on the axle won't even mix in. My dad used an A unit on a Super A for many years to feed potash to the grape vineyards.

Looking for one doesn't prevent you from looking for the other. You can look for both the A drive unit and the Super A hopper then go with whichever one you find. Or you could just drop the $260 for a reproduction Super A hopper.

workinonit
Zip Code: 29591

Postby workinonit » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:21 pm

Just my experience here. I have 2 sets of drive units, one OEM and one Cole. The OEM didn't have the hopper so I bought the one Jim attached from AG South and I really don't care for it. It constantly plugs up and is just problematic. Maybe some others have had better luck with one. I'm looking for an OEM now for mine. I'm running 2 140s.

Backtoroots7

Postby Backtoroots7 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:57 pm

That's good to know, thanks

Backtoroots7

Postby Backtoroots7 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:05 pm

Now here is a question about the fertilizer set up I picked up...I inherited my dad's A that he started to swap to a super A, so it has a torque tube for a super on it, so a super A fertilizer frame will fit, as the A and Super A had the torque tube bolt holes in different spots. So i have a super A fertilizer frame and drive unit, but an A hopper, will a fuel drive unit for an A mount to the super A framework? I assume it would, obviously just swapping some pieces over. Sorry for the dumb question, but like I said, we never had these types of units. Thanks in advance

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:42 pm

First off, swapping some pieces to turn an A into a Super A doesn't work out that well. The result is usually a partial conversion. Trying to mount many implements will run you into some incompatibility. I think you already know that.

The key to mixing fertilizer units between the A and Super A comes down to the forward mounting pads on the torque tube. If the fertilizer unit uses the front pad, it won't move between tractors. There were early and late fertilizer units for the A. The early one used the front pad, the later one didn't. So only the late one can be put on a Super A. Likewise, the Super A unit uses the front pad and can't be put on an A. The relevant part of the tractor is the torque tube. How much of the rest of the tractor came from which model is irrelevant. I think it is that simple, but there may be some other twists.

The A mounting bracket is kind of a one piece deal. The Super A bracket is two pieces, a main part bolted to the tractor and a base that the hopper mounts on. I suppose there might be some creative way the Super A base could be mounted on an A bracket. It probably wouldn't work out well. I don't see any way of going the other direction. Too much is different.