This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

which voltage regulator?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cabinetman
Zip Code: 04973

which voltage regulator?

Postby cabinetman » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:48 pm

Hi all. I appreciate the info on the carbs provided by five fellas. I'm going to try to rebuild this one. I've got a lot of experience with old carbs so am not expecting any issues.

Now I'm faced with rewiring my 1940 A. It has a generator but no belt. I've also found an old Chrysler 6 volt regulator, without a cover, screwed to the body and it's not usable. IT's also not original to be sure. I have installed a new battery in a new battery box (very spiffy!) and rewired it correctly (red to ground) and can easily start the tractor as long as the carb cooperates.

I also have installed a set of lights on it and am going to install the rotary light switch below the ammeter.

The question I have is WHICH regulator am I supposed to use? The original one looks like it had two or three contacts. The one I threw away had four. Steiner's has one for $20 or $125. I also own the repro manuals and service books for this tractor but I'm at a loss to figure out which one is correct. Can any of you all out there point me in the right direction? One regulator screws onto the generator. Is this what I need?

Very much appreciated.

Please all, have a safe and enjoyable Easter hopefully with family and friends.

Cabinetman

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: which voltage regulator?

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:14 pm

You need a regulator that matches your generator. Since the regulator had been swapped out, maybe the generator has too. If you have the original generator, it is a 3-brush unit with an adjustable third brush. If it still has the Delco ID tag, what number is on it? The original was probably 1101355. It would have had a cut-out mounted on top of the generator. You should still be able to find the 2 screw holes for mounting it, although they may be full of paint or trash. The top-mounted cut-out often gets replaced with a regulator that has a special base for mounting in the original cut-out location.

If you don't have 1101355, you need it ID what you do have. Pictures would help.

cabinetman

Postby cabinetman » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:04 pm

Thx. I'll followup with pics soon.

cabinetman

Postby cabinetman » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:00 pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m7UGmVyumK7yqkxP8

The voltage regulator was toast so I'm starting from the beginning although it, too said "Chrysler" but it could not have been original but cobbled together. I'm still learning to use google photos and importing them into posts. sorry!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2b2Ftr3e3ViEHEsF9

Just figured it out. Expand the picture in photos, select share, select "create link" and copy the link like above. Not too bad.

Let's try a short video. Easter!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9NtarGNEhZYBMwL5A

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:14 pm

That generator matches the regulator. It was original to a lot of early 1950s Chrysler products. Here is a new regulaotr that matches:
https://brillman.com/product/6-volt-pos ... regulator/

I would probably look for an original type Delco generator or consider changing to 12-volts with a newer style alternator.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:38 pm

cabinetman wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/m7UGmVyumK7yqkxP8

The voltage regulator was toast so I'm starting from the beginning although it, too said "Chrysler" but it could not have been original but cobbled together. I'm still learning to use google photos and importing them into posts. sorry!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2b2Ftr3e3ViEHEsF9

Just figured it out. Expand the picture in photos, select share, select "create link" and copy the link like above. Not too bad.

Let's try a shorrt video. Easter!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9NtarGNEhZYBMwL5A

Why bother with some image host, when you can just post them here?
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:58 pm

Opinion. 12 volt single wire alternator. Cheaper than a voltage regulator and generator repairs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

cabinetman

Postby cabinetman » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:23 am

First I'm going to check out that voltage regulator because I've got a brand new 6 volt batter and box installed. If that doesn't pan out then I'm going to consider going to an alternator if for no other reason than simplicity. I used the "url" method because the photos came off my google photos account on my phone. I'm making some changes there, however, and will just post 'em up in the future.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:31 pm

cabinetman wrote:First I'm going to check out that voltage regulator because I've got a brand new 6 volt batter and box installed.
Don't spend any more money until you have the voltage regulator and the generator tested. Some shops can test them.
I have an excuse. CRS.