This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Super A Voltage Regulator Problems

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dalton.scism
Zip Code: 28016

Farmall Super A Voltage Regulator Problems

Postby dalton.scism » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:35 am

I have a Farmall Super A that does not charge. I have been using it for some time by just running off the battery, but am currently working on getting it to charge. I had the generator rebuilt, and know it is functioning properly as I have connected it to a power source and it turns. I know that the problem is coming from the regulator, as when I bridge the field terminal to ground, the ammeter shows a charge.

Here is the dilemma...

I have replaced the regulator twice now, and they have both worked the first time I ran the tractor, but afterwards fail to function. I have polarized the generator before running the tractor. Both of the regulators I have purchased were NAPA parts.

With that said, am I just getting bad parts? Or, is there a problem with my machine causing the regulator to go out.

Additionally, where should I get a new regulator?

The tractor is original 6 volt positive ground. However, when I purchased it, the battery was wired as negative ground. I have since wired the battery properly, though.

Thanks to everyone for any and all help that will be provided!

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Super A Voltage Regulator Problems

Postby indy61 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:16 pm

I've heard bad things about the cheap aftermarket voltage regulators. Make sure to buy the premium quality, Made in the USA.
I don't know the year of your tractor or type of regulator you need but here are some examples.

https://brillman.com/product/6-volt-del ... r-premium/

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHVR85 ... sionRank=1