This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Duplex Cole Planter for the Super AV

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 33596
Tractors Owned: Super A Industrial
Farmall 100

Duplex Cole Planter for the Super AV

Postby customcutter » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:43 pm

Pa has an old horse/mule drawn duplex Cole Planter. We have 6-8 plates and also 6-8 gears for it. It's in good condition other than the left handle is rotted where it attaches to the front of the planter. I'm going to try "rigging" it up to use behind the Super AV. I've seen several YT videos of newer Cole planters and some duplex planters that were tractor mounted. They had "runners" on the bottom of the "sword" for depth control. Also they had a center post on quick hitch or 3 point hitches that allowed the planter to "float". This older style does not have any type of depth control skids/runners, so I'm hoping it can be controlled with the touch controls. I'll post some pics if I'm able to come up with anything.

If anyone has any pics of a Cole planter used with a Super A, 140, etc and a regular drawbar please post. Looking for ideas on how to set it up.

Thanks in advance, Ken

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Duplex Cole Planter for the Super AV

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:16 pm

PM sent.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:42 am

The way most people did it around here was they bolted or welded a "hinge" to the front half of the swinging drawbar attachment, and attached the front of the planter to that. Then they ran a couple of chains up to the rockshaft arms to lift it. That way, the planter can float.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:07 am

Super A wrote:The way most people did it around here was they bolted or welded a "hinge" to the front half of the swinging drawbar attachment, and attached the front of the planter to that. Then they ran a couple of chains up to the rockshaft arms to lift it. That way, the planter can float.

Al

Thanks Al,

Chains up to the rockshaft arms sounds like a great idea. I'll see what I can come up with.

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:48 am

I managed to "rig" up the Cole Duplex. We didn't have a drawbar for the AV, but had a drawbar off of either a Cub or SA. I flipped it forward and used U-bolts to clamp it to the rear toolbars. I also used a U-bolt to attach the front of the planter to the drawbar. I had to lower the front U-bolt as the sword wasn't low enough and it was only planting about 1/2-3/4" deep. I used Al's idea of lifting the rear with chains. I got it to work, and planted 12 rows of Silvermine corn. Hopefully, the seed isn't too wet, as we've had almost 10-12" of rain in the last 6 weeks. It was either plant the garden before we leave for a couple of months or no garden. I still need to fabricate a center rod to keep the planter from wanting to tilt over, that will allow it to float.
Attachments
IMG_20230412_143430499_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230412_143443458_HDR.jpg