This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall A to Super A interchangeability

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 33596
Tractors Owned: Super A Industrial
Farmall 100

Farmall A to Super A interchangeability

Postby customcutter » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:05 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking at a Super A that is missing the rear cultivator tool bars. It has a 3 point hitch and we want the tractor for cultivating. Also part of the lifting arms are missing from the front right. It has the upper rod, but not the lower arm coming back from behind the front axle.

There is also an A for sale a couple of hours away from the Super A that has the front and rear lift systems complete. Just wondering if they might be transferable from the A over to the Super A as they look slightly different? Not really interested in lifting everything manually if hydraulics can be used.

Also wondering if the motor from the A could be swapped to the Super A if needed. The Super A is apparently locked up, but hoping it can be freed.

Thanks in advance, Ken

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Re: Farmall A to Super A interchangeability

Postby customcutter » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:09 pm

I found this info on doing an engine swap. Didn't think about the hydraulic pump.

viewtopic.php?f=170&t=114500&p=912307&hilit=engine+swap#p912307

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:21 pm

I don't consider the 3-point to be particularly useful on a Super A, particularly on a tractor used for cultivating. For one thing, most are home-made and don't work very well.

I'm not sure which pieces you are referring to as lifting arms, lower arm, etc. A few missing key pieces can cut deeply into the value of a cultivator. You might want to look at Burch Store for availability and cost of missing pieces. This will give you a worst-case cost of completion because you know this option exists (without having to call anyone to check availability/prices).
https://burchstoretractors.com/collecti ... uper-a-100

The main mounting parts and lift mechanisms from an A cultivator will be virtually useless on a Super A. There isn't even room to mount the hand lift mechanism with the Touch-Control installed. Most of the tool mounting clamps don't even mix.

As you have discovered, installing an A engine into a Super A eliminates the place to mount the hydraulic pump. The A and all the successor models have a lot of parts that can be bolted together as a mix-n-match. But doing so doesn't always turn into a combination that should be put together.

Any tractor with a stuck engine should be viewed as parts and be priced accordingly. However, keep in mind that these are wet sleeve engines and many stuck engines can be brought back with an overhaul that includes a new set of sleeves and pistons. It depends on what other problems are found in the engine.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:31 am

A full set of cultivators for a Super A will run you 500-800 dollars.

A stuck engine is a $500 tractor IMO. That or less does give you some wiggle room for repairs.

When it comes to implements, you can generally assume that noting will interchange between the A and the Super A.

It's easy to spend someone else's money! I would say if it's stuck I would go ahead and knock the sleeves/pistons out and overhaul the engine. Check the crankshaft and grind/polish as needed. A quality job will last you a long time. The other way to look at it is like a friend of mine says--the cheapest old tractor you will ever buy is the one in the best condition you can find.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:03 pm

Jim and Al,

Thanks for the replies. I looked at more pictures of some of the Super A's that I had saved on the computer, and yes they look completely different. I'm coming to the same conclusion that the cheapest tractor I can buy is probably the one in the best shape.

I'm also learning that "outfitting" a tractor with cultivators, etc will probably cost as much as the tractor. I learned that lesson the first time when buying a lathe. The tooling for it will cost far more than the lathe.

It looks like I may have to make an 8-10 hr drive to check out a few that I have found for sale. LOL

thanks again for the comments.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:17 pm

And it is often cheaper to buy a tractor and implement(s) as a package. Whether with a tractor or purchased separately, completeness is very important.

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:48 pm

Jim Becker wrote:And it is often cheaper to buy a tractor and implement(s) as a package. Whether with a tractor or purchased separately, completeness is very important.

Yes, I've been looking for a package. Unfortunately, most of the cultivators, sweeps, etc have gone to the scrap yard. Most of the tractors I see are what I call "Parade" tractors, a few have mowers, and very few have any gardening equipment. Most of them are in the Carolina's and some in north Ga, north Al.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:02 am

customcutter wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:And it is often cheaper to buy a tractor and implement(s) as a package. Whether with a tractor or purchased separately, completeness is very important.

Yes, I've been looking for a package. Unfortunately, most of the cultivators, sweeps, etc have gone to the scrap yard. Most of the tractors I see are what I call "Parade" tractors, a few have mowers, and very few have any gardening equipment. Most of them are in the Carolina's and some in north Ga, north Al.

IMO, some of the nicest A--140s I have seen online for sale come from the tobacco regions of TN and KY. You're apt to end up with cultivators, etc. with them. You'll see some nice examples in Michigan from time to time as well.

They're EVERYWHERE here in eastern NC but ours tend to have more hours/wear/tear on them.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:44 pm

Thanks Al,

Yes, I see a few on FB, but they are 8-10 hr drive and my 92-year-old FIL is doing dialysis 3x a week and too weak to travel on those days. He keeps talking about a trip to NC or Kentucky, but I know he doesn't have the strength for a 20 hr road trip.

I found some tractors today and we are going to try and go see them on Sunday. They are only 3.5 hrs away one way. The seller says he can make up a complete package including planter and fertilizer side dresser but doesn't have a hopper for the fertilizer dresser. Hoping I might have found one after almost 5 months of looking and passing up tractors that needed too much work or parts.

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:48 pm

Super A wrote: The other way to look at it is like a friend of mine says--the cheapest old tractor you will ever buy is the one in the best condition you can find.

Al

We went and looked at the tractors today. There were actually 3 SA's and 4 140's. If I had offered him half of the asking price on any of them, they would have cost me far more than some of the tractors I've seen listed for sale.

Lessons learned, ask more questions, ask for more close up photo's, and get some video close up's also.

On the bright side, the lesson only cost $150 in fuel and a lost day. Would have been much more costly if I had bought into one of the money pits.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:41 am

Last week here on auction a running SA with a cultivator mounted and ready to use brought $800. --- I didnt have the extra cash so had to let it go! Cheapest SA I ever seen sell! Also around here there just are not any to be had. Guess it came in on one of the scalpers trucks from Ky. or TN. that frequent the auction.
I have both A and SA and they are a TOTALY different animal! I have a cultivator for an A hand lift but never figured how it mounts so its out here on a pallet behind the shed. Got crankshaft pulley problems on the A and no time to work on it.

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:05 pm

All of the SA's and 140's would crank and run but needed tires front and rear, some needed hydraulic's reworked, steering was at least 180* of play in the steering on all of the tractors, and all of them looked like they had spent their entire lives out in the open. Oil pressure on the gauges that worked was less than 20 lbs. A couple of them looked like they had been repainted with latex house paint about 30 years ago that was coming off in scales the size of my thumbnail. There was probably something there worth buying if you were looking for a project for the next 2-3 years, LOL.

The parts were worth more than I was willing to offer for any of them.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”