This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pulling the 100 oil pump.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 33596
Tractors Owned: Super A Industrial
Farmall 100

Pulling the 100 oil pump.

Postby customcutter » Mon May 15, 2023 3:00 pm

I tried removing the oil pump today to check for a blown gasket or warped plate. First, I tried to drain the oil pan, but couldn't get the oil pan drain plug out. I couldn't break it loose even with a 14" pipe wrench. :shock: So I dropped it full of oil. I had to remove the front left cultivator arm for easy access to the front bolts on the oil pan with a ratchet instead of using a wrench and 45* turns.

I finally got the oil pan off and removed the 2 side bolts and lock tabs holding the oil pump in place. I tried dropping the oil pump and nothing, so I came in and looked up a couple of YT videos, and it should drop out easily with the 2 bolts out. I tried tapping on the side to break it free of the block if that was holding it. I put a 2' pry bar on it and still nothing. Finally, I tried tapping down at a 45* angle with a 3# dead blow hammer, still nothing. :shock: I gave up for today instead of getting frustrated. If it doesn't drop easily tomorrow, I may just drop the bottom plate, spring, and plug and leave the body in place without dropping it.

I decided to try getting some gasket material at O-Reilly's for the oil pan, some oil, and an oil filter. Oil filter will be in at 7:30AM. They didn't have anything suitable for the oil pump at .006" thickness. I looked it up when I got home and decided to check the price on the oil pan and valve cover gaskets. I ordered them from Steiner for about the same money as the roll of gasket material to make one from O'reilly's. Also, oil was $7/gal higher than the local Wally World so it may be going back also. :shock: Parts will take 3-6 days from Steiners.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Pulling the 100 oil pump.

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 15, 2023 7:38 pm

I have seen those oil pumps want to stick in place. I don't remember if it helps to try twisting it a little or not. If you take the bottom cover off with the pump in place, the second gear in the pump will probably want to fall out along with the spring and possibly the plunger.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Mon May 15, 2023 9:15 pm

customcutter wrote:I tried removing the oil pump today

I finally got the oil pan off and removed the 2 side bolts and lock tabs holding the oil pump in place. I tried dropping the oil pump and nothing

https://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=174&t=109871&sid=fef2fc6581ef7c52a95cae995b56d666

Message #9!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Tue May 16, 2023 7:42 am

Jim Becker wrote:I have seen those oil pumps want to stick in place. I don't remember if it helps to try twisting it a little or not. If you take the bottom cover off with the pump in place, the second gear in the pump will probably want to fall out along with the spring and possibly the plunger.

Thanks Jim,

I tried twisting it by hand. I may need to use a rubber strap oil filter wrench to get some leverage on it. Again thanks for the tip on all the other parts that might want to fall out. I'll definitely try getting it out as a unit.

thanks, Ken

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Tue May 16, 2023 7:49 am

SamsFarm wrote:
customcutter wrote:I tried removing the oil pump today

I finally got the oil pan off and removed the 2 side bolts and lock tabs holding the oil pump in place. I tried dropping the oil pump and nothing

https://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=174&t=109871

Message #9!

Thanks Sam,

Wow, a 5' pry bar and tapping! :o The 30" bar I had is a little short. I'm going to grab one of my large rubber strap oil filter wrenches and try twisting it with a little more leverage. I can't believe the drain plug is stuck in bottom of the oil pan. Going to get a cheater pipe on it this AM also.

I haven't decided if I'm going to try sanding it or just clamp it in the vise on the milling machine and a fly cutter. I guess it depends on how easily I can clamp it and get it level.
Gotta get the sucker off first! :D

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Tue May 16, 2023 12:06 pm

I put the rubber strap oil filter wrench on it and was able to get it to move about 1/2" to the left. Reveresed it back and forth several times, but ears on the shaft that the bolts go through would not allow it to turn farther. I couldn't pull it down so I grabbed a 1X2" board and a 3# hammer and tapped down on it until it freed up.

Finally got it out and cleaned it up. The gasket was blown, I found some deep machining marks in the direction of the oil flow where it was blown. I'm sure the machining marks were a contributing factor to it blowing out along with the warpage.

I tried clamping it in the vise on the milling machine after checking the edges with calipers. I only read about .010" difference in thickness after checking several spots so thought I would try milling it flat. I got it cleaned up about 3/4 of the way across taking .005" cut at a time and I guess either vibration of thermal expansion caused it to shift. I could tell it was making heavier cuts so I finished the cut it was on, and decided to start sanding with 150 grip silicon carbide. Took a break for lunch and still have about 3/4" where the gasket blew to finish it up.

Hopefully the all the gaskets will be here by the weekend for re-assembly.

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Tue May 16, 2023 2:12 pm

A couple of pics of the oil pump bottom plate that usually warps causing low or no oil pressure. First pic is after partial milling and sanding for a couple of hours. Second pic is after sanding for another hour with 150 grit silicon carbide.

You can see the deep machining or sanding scratches in the first pic at the point of the gasket failure.
Attachments
IMG_20230516_133156630_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230516_140041892_HDR.jpg

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Tue May 16, 2023 2:15 pm

customcutter wrote:A couple of pics of the oil pump bottom plate that usually warps causing low or no oil pressure. First pic is after partial milling and sanding for a couple of hours. Second pic is after sanding for another hour with 150 grit silicon carbide.

You can see the deep machining or sanding scratches in the first pic at the point of the gasket failure.

Edit: Those scratches were evident all across the plate before I started milling it. Unfortunately the piece was too difficult to clamp in the vise and shifted. So I had to resort to sanding to finish it off.

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Tue May 16, 2023 2:30 pm

Jim BTW, I measured the spring length and it was 2.396 instead of 2.398, so It's good. Thanks for the info.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Tue May 16, 2023 3:59 pm

See, and you probably thought it was funny I used that 5' pry-bar! :)

I was thinking there was hidden fasteners I must have missed. But it was just (well fitted) stuck.
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Tue May 16, 2023 4:03 pm

SamsFarm wrote:See, and you probably thought it was funny I used that 5' pry-bar! :)

I was thinking there was hidden fasteners I must have missed. But it was just (well fitted) stuck.

Yeah, I know the feeling on missed fasteners. I came and did about 3 hours of research trying to find something. It all came back as "stuck" or seized. :D

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Fri May 19, 2023 3:03 pm

Oil pump, valve cover, and oil pan gaskets all arrived from Steiner today. Hopefully I can get them installed in a day or two. Hope the old girl has some oil pressure after all this! :D

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Fri May 19, 2023 7:30 pm

I decided to go ahead and install the oil pump gasket, and put the tractor back together. Pump turned easily after installing the gasket, so I figured it was good to go. I had difficulty removing the pump and it was just as tight getting it back in far enough to start the bolts that hold it in place. I actually had to whack it pretty hard with the 3# dead blow hammer several times.

It was a major pain getting the gasket and oil pan lined up. I finally gave up and crawled under the tractor and it was still a difficult job. For some reason none of the holes wanted to line up properly. I would have sworn that the oil pan was warped. Which just reminded me that it had a large dent in it at one time that someone tried to hammer out. That probably explains all the issues I had. I had to press up with the bolt in one hand and try turning it with a wrench in my other until I was able to get them to grab a thread. Then I finally got to the 3 bolts at the back of the pan. I tried several times to start them by hand and no luck. I finally figured out that if I stuffed a paper towel in the socket it would apply pressure to the bolt while I could also turn it. Worked like a champ. Finally got all the bolts in and started tightening them up.

I added 5 qts of 20-50w oil and fired her up. Not great oil pressure, only about 1/3 the way up the gauge, but better than 0 it had been reading before. I'm sure the bearings and seals are bad and that's why the low pressure. Hopefully she's got another 10-20 years in her. LOL