This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A governor, timing gear help

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JLindquist
Zip Code: 01568

Super A governor, timing gear help

Postby JLindquist » Wed May 24, 2023 12:08 pm

So I inadvertently removed my timing gear while messing with the spring and linkage in the governor on my 1949 Super A. I pulled the timing gear forward while just trying to wiggle it for test play (I didn’t need to touch it but I did). I didn’t think too much about it until I tried to start it and it was a crank no start. I advanced the timing and got it running but knew something was off. I read several post on this forum about it and still can’t seem to get it right. First issue I come to is on the forum most posts explain it has two punch marks on the timing gear and matching that up with two punch marks on the cam gear. It appears my timing gear has only one punch mark. The cam gear has a spot on it with two, a spot on it with what looks like one, and some numbers. I’ve tried to go with the single punch marks but it still just cranks no start. I’m hoping I can show some pictures of the mark on the timing gear and the three marks on the cam gear and get some opinions. I’ll have to review it tonight but I believe the number one cylinder was not all the way up at the single punch mark but that was last night which seems like a long time ago. Once I feel confident with the placement I can mess with the distributor and rotor position and post again when I can’t figure that out.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super A governor, timing gear help

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 24, 2023 12:36 pm

The single mark on the cam gear is there to line up with the single mark on the crankshaft gear. The double mark on the cam gear should line up with the mark on the governor gear. The governor gear should be a double mark. But if it is a single and the only mark there, use it. I believe (but not certain) that when the engine is turned to TDC compression on #1, the single mark on the cam will be at the crankshaft gear. The double mark should be visible at the governor opening. I also believe that when the governor gear is installed at TDC, the drive slot should be about 35 degrees off horizontal in a 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock position, viewed from the magneto side.

JLindquist

Postby JLindquist » Wed May 24, 2023 3:13 pm

Thanks, I’m gonna turn it and take a look. Then if I figure out how to post pictures I will.

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 33596
Tractors Owned: Super A Industrial
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Wed May 24, 2023 3:28 pm

I recently bought a 100 that the PO had repaired the governor in. Before the repair it would crank and run wide open. After he did the repair, it would only backfire. I and several other people had told him that the timing was off. He tried several times to get the timing right but never could. Finally, after several months of messing with it he decided to sell it. I pulled the #1 plug and got the tractor to TDC on compression stroke. When I pulled the distributor cap the rotor was pointing to #4 plug wire position. I re-positioned the distributor to align #1 with the rotor button and it fired up first try. Eventually I need to pull the governor and reposition the timing according to the marks. Good luck.

JLindquist

Postby JLindquist » Thu May 25, 2023 8:39 am

So I disregarded the single punch on the cam gear and lined up the two punches on the cam gear with the single in the timing gear and she fired right up. I needed a little confidence in what I was doing and the replies here and a video from another post on this site were it.

JLindquist

Postby JLindquist » Thu May 25, 2023 8:40 am

Thank you to all.

deanlubo
Zip Code: 83646

Postby deanlubo » Mon May 29, 2023 11:53 am

Helps out a lot. Appreciate all the information. Thanks