This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

she's alive "the farmall A saga"

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

she's alive "the farmall A saga"

Postby cjpenny89 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:13 am

Well I got my used manifold by fed-ex yesterday and I picked up my gaskets at the autoparts store I was happy $4.84 for the manifold gasket and $40 for the Manifold shipped to my door. I was also surprised it was sandblasted also.
Got the manifold bolted on and went to install the carb and I thought there was a new gasket at my dads so I didn't get one.
Well there wasn't so I used the old one that was in rough shape. we bolted it up and cranked it over! oops I had it chocked to long ran the choke backwards lol it happens with all the excitement and ran the battery down. Then all the gas was running everywhere. out the carb between the carb and the intake out the air breather hose all over the floor. My dad says see I told you the choke went the other way. Should have listened to him he has only hand cranked his "A" for 40 years he has the early 1940 one no starter or choke rods all done by hand.
well I laughed and told him you know how excited I get like a kid at christmas!
well I tried tightening the carb bolts a little more but not to tight don't need to strip the threads. I started to hand crank it after I shut the gas off.
I am not sure if the float is stuck or not it acts like it. Dad took the carb apart and cleaned it but It is going to get a rebuild.
anyway I started hand cranking it and with each turn of the engine when it would come up to TDC it was spit and sputter and roll over a bunch of times after I did this for about 15 turns I turned the gas back on and 2 cranks latter it fired up. Slow slow faster faster spitting and sputtering and it came to full life. Well it was missing but I have not done any tune up stuff to it yet. Money is tight so now that I know it will run I will be getting the parts.
I had good throtal respone and sounded prety good. I let it run enough to get warm and drain the crudy old oil out. Then it was time to go pick up my kids and get home before my wife had a coranary I wasn't home yet.
So in the next week or so I will be rebuilding the carb and buying a tune up kit. I also can now go buy the front tire. $53 a tire with tube installed.
later this spring it will be cosmetic stuff but I need to find a battery box first.
Well it fires up and I am sure I will post more of my progress and I think I will listen to my dad a little more often! I have had that problem since I started working on engines!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:36 am

Congratulations Chad!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

spaceghost
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02346
Tractors Owned: 1959 Cub lo-boy
1950 super A

Postby spaceghost » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:39 pm

That is good news. Send some pictures.

I am working on my Super A now. The transmission was full of creamy goo.

Bacon makes everything better.
1959 LO-Boy 1950 Super A

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 pm

Great :D :D :D Chad
You can file the points and clean the plugs. That might get you by for a while and it dont cost anything.
Spaceghost
That looks like HyTran and water mixed, gets that white grease look
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:43 am

Boo-yah!

With that much gas, I would suspect the float and needle myself. When you get the new needle, it'll be a rubber tipped mongrel. install it in the seat and bang it with a hammer until it's good and stuck. Wiggle it loose with a small flat screwdriver and check the rubber. If it's got a nice ridge in it now, you're good to go. Until I did that with my Super H, the needle would get stuck in the seat and the tractor wouldn't run for more than a couple of minutes. We'd have to bang the carb with a rock to get the needle to drop so the tractor would run.

Don't discount a bad plug wire, either. Mine was only running on 3 cylinders for the longest time. One day Dad decides it doesn't sound quite right and starts pulling wires. Got to the #4 cylinder and it ran the same with or without the wire connected. They sound pretty good on 3, but man when you get all 4 popping. Music.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Great to hear!!!!Always good to hear a engine thats been quite for a while run!!!!Congrats!!Ketcham
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”