This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Long Shot Restoration

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hairy Moose Knuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super C

Long Shot Restoration

Postby Hairy Moose Knuckles » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:19 am

A long shot Super C restoration.

Keep in mind, my idea of restoration means tractor will have the chance to live another 65 to 70 years. In other words a working tractor and not a show piece.

I've been thinking about it pretty hard, but I'd really hate to sell it. I had a couple of people stop and ask me about it this week. One was serious but I politely turned him down. I could have had 2/3 of what I paid for it in 09.

I considered it, but I worked a lot of OT to save for it between 07-09. Plus, The wife and I drove every road in and around Texas trying to find something affordable. We looked at a boat load of tractors and I still remember each and everyone of them.

If you are following all my other threads, you know what I'm up against. I have a stuck motor and I have something stuck in one of the spark plug holes. I'm not able and I don't have the knowledge to fix it. I have family that can turn wrenches for me, but engine probably needs rebuilding. None of us ever split one, and we've never seen one split. Plus we don't have the knowledge to complete a task of that multitude nor a place to do it. It would be a shade tree restoration.

Common sense says to punt. (sale it), but it would be nice to chunk a Hail Mary.

This is a list of what I know it needs and there's probably a lot more since it's been sitting so long.

1. Motor Rebuilt
2. Head work
3. Completely rewired with new gauges
4. Rear end seals
5. Hydraulics don't work
6. I'd like a 3 point hitch
7. I'd like a 12 volt system
8. Seat and steering wheel rebuilt or replaced.
9. It would be nice to have paint job and new decals, but it's not absolutely necessary to me.
10. Gas tank needs cleaned
11. It has no fenders, not necessary to me.

The tractor has good tires and good sheet metal including the grill.

I'm sure it would take a small fortune to complete and monetarily it wouldn't be worth half of what I spend.
Attachments
IMG_4848.jpg
:tractor: Its me, Ant-Knee :tractor:

Hairy Moose Knuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Long Shot Restoration

Postby Hairy Moose Knuckles » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Coming a toad floater today, so no work being done. Last night, I topped off the cylinders with more diesel/ATF mix and covered it with tarp. Patience Grasshopper.

Nephew has full confidence we can get it running again.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Try to attend a CUBFEST. You'll learn more than you ever dreamed you could.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Hairy Moose Knuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hairy Moose Knuckles » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:Try to attend a CUBFEST. You'll learn more than you ever dreamed you could.

I'll sure do my best.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue May 01, 2018 9:54 am

Take out motor rebuild, head work, 3 point hitch, and fenders and you could get the rest fixed or done for less than a grand if doing yourself. Add about $2,000 for the rest I left out. Maybe less.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

EdHarbur
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06877

Postby EdHarbur » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 am

Here's my 2 cents worth.

I'd be surprised if you didn't find it was a lot less expensive to buy a completed tractor than restore one. I feel that the only reason to do a restoration is that you really want to do a restoration. Here's my experience.

I have a C Demonstrator that ran pretty well, smoked a little, and was scruffy but presentable. I've always wanted to do a tractor restoration, so I decided to do this one. I had the engine rebuilt and clutch redone; parts and labor was 2,400. Miscellaneous stuff like a seat, steering wheel, wiring harness, battery cables, generator rebuild, tune up stuff, steering u-joints, ammeter, fenders, tool box, battery box, battery etc. came up to at least another 2,000. Tires, tubes, wheels and powder coating on the rims were another 2,300

Paint? Probably 1,900 by the time I'm done with sandblasting and modern car paint.

So, I've got about 8,600 into the tractor, plus the price of the tractor, into a tractor that I HOPE my wife can get 4,000 or 5,000 for when I croak. Decent "parade worthy" Cs show up on Craigslist in Connecticut for 3,000-3,500. I haven't tried to save money on this project, and clearly, I could have spent less on many things, but you get the idea.

I'm having a lot of fun though!

Good luck.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”