This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Looking for my first Farmall

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Olympus
Zip Code: 63755

Looking for my first Farmall

Postby Olympus » Sun May 03, 2020 8:06 pm

Hey everyone, new member here. I'm looking to get my first small Farmall tractor. I already have a newer 40hp diesel tractor with 4wd and a loader, so I'm not really looking to do any specific jobs with the Farmall. But my Gpa had always been a buyer and sell of old tractors and I got hooked on the Farmalls more than any of the other manufacturers. I'm really looking to pick something that doesn't need too much work, but still has a few little things that I can work on myself. My Gpa is almost 80 now and he can't do a lot, but I would like to be able to have him come over and "help" me with some little repairs as needed. Plus I have a 5 year old son who is just in love with all things tractor, so I thought it would be cool to have a small Farmall that he could "help" work on to and also be able to drive around the yard (with supervision of course).

I had originally decided that I wanted a Super C, and I think that's still my first choice, but I thought about my property has some hills and I'm not sure what the stability is like on a tricycle front end tractor. I definitely would not want to let my 5 year old be in a position to roll a tractor. So maybe someone can help me with some experience as to stability on hillsides with a Super C. With my current tractor, it's absolutely no problem at all. My son drives it with me all around the property just fine. So my second thought was maybe an A or a Super A since they don't have the trike setup. I don't really want to go with a Cub because those tractors seem to be a dime a dozen in my area and I was hoping for something a little less common.

But basically something that I could do some minor repairs to, get repainted, and have a nice looking little tractor that we can play around with on my property and drive around the subdivision. Maybe something that my son could drive in parades when he gets a little bigger, stuff like that. But I'm eager to learn as much as I can from everyone here!

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Looking for my first Farmall

Postby muleboss » Sun May 03, 2020 9:09 pm

I have a real nice Super A in eastern central Kansas

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun May 03, 2020 10:20 pm

In my opinion, an offset tractor is as likely to be a hazard. They can be quite prone to tipping over if you do a right turn going downhill or suddenly dip in a hole with left rear or hit an unknown object such as a stump with right rear
Thomas

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 am

Super C wide front

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon May 04, 2020 7:06 am

The Super C was sold in both tricycle and wide front, so you just need to find a wide front Super C.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon May 04, 2020 8:14 am

Gary Dotson wrote:The Super C was sold in both tricycle and wide front, so you just need to find a wide front Super C.
ajhbike wrote:Super C wide front

Agreed, but apparently they’re like hens teeth, ain’t never seen one in my neck of the woods. :lol:
Hopefully they are more common where he lives
Thomas

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 04, 2020 11:05 am

I've said this before and gotten considerable pushback from it. But I'll say it again. The improvement in stability from adding a wide front end is minimal if anything. The best thing you can do to improve sideways stability is to set the rear track wider.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon May 04, 2020 1:59 pm

Greetings from a fellow Missourian! Welcome to the Forum!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

We have several owner's manuals on the forum, so after your 2nd post, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. From a desktop or laptop, they’re located via "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals". If you're using a phone via internet connection, then they are located in "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Hit "Links Directory" and scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there. You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual and any service manuals that interest you. Great way to familiarize yourself with your tractor search. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Might also enjoy reading through this thread (even though it’s for a Cub, much can be applied to any tractor just brought home): What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Be sure to check out the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

When you finally "pull the trigger"on a model, take some pictures of it and post them, we’d like to see it.

Remember:
• When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
• Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
• When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Start a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Jim Becker wrote:I've said this before and gotten considerable pushback from it. But I'll say it again. The improvement in stability from adding a wide front end is minimal if anything. The best thing you can do to improve sideways stability is to set the rear track wider.
Totally agree.

Owned, operated narrow front tractors in Iowa hill county and currently own and operate narrow front tractors in much steeper Missouri Ozarks/hills.

And what some folks call hills wouldn't amount to a flattened out gopher mound in "HILL COUNTRY".
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rusty red
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 63783
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1957? Cub
Farmall H (long term project)
1947 Plymouth (project)
1947 2N ford

Postby Rusty red » Mon May 04, 2020 4:31 pm

I would like to know where the dime a dozen cubs are in the area. Lol.

Rusty red
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 63783
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1957? Cub
Farmall H (long term project)
1947 Plymouth (project)
1947 2N ford

Postby Rusty red » Mon May 04, 2020 4:39 pm

I did see a super c narrow front listed at an auction this weekend.

Olympus

Postby Olympus » Mon May 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Rusty red wrote:I would like to know where the dime a dozen cubs are in the area. Lol.

They are all over Facebook Marketplace and I see one sitting out by the road at all kinds of different little towns around the area.

Olympus

Postby Olympus » Mon May 04, 2020 7:44 pm

It's great to see two different members here from Missouri also! I'm down in the southeast part of the state.

Olympus

Postby Olympus » Mon May 04, 2020 7:54 pm

I've got two tractors on my radar right now. One is a 1939 regular A that is hand-crank only. It looks pretty straight from the photos, but maybe sharper eyes can pick out details that I might have missed. Current owner says he's never been able to hand-crank the motor, but says it pop starts easily and runs great. He's asking $700 which I thought was nice considering it would be smaller initial investment and would leave me with some cash to make any repairs and repaint.
Farmall A 1.jpg

Farmall A 2.jpg

Farmall A 3.jpg

Farmall A 4.jpg

The other is a Super C that looks to be in halfway decent. Owner has replaced the timing gear, head gasket, and new points and says it runs great. Also looks like it has a Fast Hitch, which most I've seen for sale don't have. Seller is asking $2000.

Super C 1.jpg

Super C 2.jpg

Olympus

Postby Olympus » Mon May 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Also a shot of the Fast Hitch on the Super C.

Super C 3.jpg

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”