This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch Control Lift Arm

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Touch Control Lift Arm

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:38 am

Post a couple pics of your alternator set-up. Wrong alternator does not compute.

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:00 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Since the tractor was originally 6v with a generator, I'm not sure how you define the "wrong" alternator. One thing though, I think alternators are usually set up with either 1 or 3 wires. Maybe it isn't connected properly.

Your are technically correct that the existing alternator works. However, it isn't wired properly so it is not charging the battery. If we changed the wiring around to charge the battery with this alternator the engine shut off switch would no longer function is what I'm told. I would push in the cutoff switch and the machine would continue to run. So either get a 1 wire alternator or rewire it somehow. As you can tell from my past comments I'm not as well versed in these machines as I'd like to be. Even more so when it comes to the electrical systems, as simple as they are.

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:06 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Since the tractor was originally 6v with a generator, I'm not sure how you define the "wrong" alternator. One thing though, I think alternators are usually set up with either 1 or 3 wires. Maybe it isn't connected properly.

I likely used the incorrect terminology. I think this machine was wired to operate with a 1 wire alternator. So either I try rewiring it or get a 1 wire alternator. I'll try and get some picture this weekend.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:25 pm

FarmerCPA wrote:. . . If we changed the wiring around to charge the battery with this alternator the engine shut off switch would no longer function is what I'm told. . . .

Only if you change it from being wired wrong to being wired a different wrong. There have been multiple discussions here (usually with proper diagrams) on how to wire a 3-wire alternator. You will probably find most of them in the Cub forum. The exact same wiring applies to your tractor.

I'm just trying to keep you from buying an alternator if a hunk of wire and a diode or small light bulb is all that is needed.

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:08 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
FarmerCPA wrote:. . . If we changed the wiring around to charge the battery with this alternator the engine shut off switch would no longer function is what I'm told. . . .

Only if you change it from being wired wrong to being wired a different wrong. There have been multiple discussions here (usually with proper diagrams) on how to wire a 3-wire alternator. You will probably find most of them in the Cub forum. The exact same wiring applies to your tractor.

I'm just trying to keep you from buying an alternator if a hunk of wire and a diode or small light bulb is all that is needed.

I appreciate it. I'm just ignorant in these matters. I'll look up some wiring diagrams and try to figure out where it's messed up. If you know of a good one let me know.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:11 pm

The diagram in the first post of this thread should be all you need.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111819

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:25 pm

Jim Becker wrote:The diagram in the first post of this thread should be all you need.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111819

Thank you.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:51 am

The “not shutting off” issue has been addressed many times, just follow the diagram Jim provided, if you prefer, you can substitute the warning light with a very simple diode. It sounds like the wiring is drastically basically already in place. If it’s done in a decent manner, just add the diode or light.

Edit: word substituted as marked. Jim Becker

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:01 pm

Gary Dotson wrote:The “not shutting off” issue has been addressed many times, just follow the diagram Jim provided, if you prefer, you can substitute the warning light with a very simple diode. It sounds like the wiring is drastically already in place. If it’s done in a decent manner, just add the diode or light.

I'm sure you are correct. The diagram from Jim is the clearest one I've seen and plenty easy to follow. After all, the tractor currently runs so it should be an easy fix. It would be much tougher if it wasn't a runner. Work has been taking all of my time so I'll try to get the wiring fixed soon. Hopefully this weekend.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:34 pm

I see my tablet changed basically to drastically, wish they didn’t do that.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:30 pm

Gary Dotson wrote:I see my tablet changed basically to drastically, wish they didn’t do that.

Agreed! I do "preview" on all my posts. Stuff still gets past me. When the computer adds mistakes, it can be even worse.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:45 am

Too bad you can’t turn that off. I make far fewer mistakes than the computer does.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:24 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Gary Dotson wrote:I see my tablet changed basically to drastically, wish they didn’t do that.

Agreed! I do "preview" on all my posts. Stuff still gets past me. When the computer adds mistakes, it can be even worse.

I understood the gist of what you are saying. Perhaps your tablet wanted to be more dramatic. I have a coworker that likes to use the speech to text software for composing internal emails. Often times the interesting interpretations by the computer result in some laughter.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:14 am

I sometimes use the speech to text feature, when texting but usually spend more time correcting it, than if I just typed it, in the first place.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:29 am

Now that the thread has been completely hijacked, one of my small claims to fame is that the NIST (then the NBS) has a sample of my voice used for testing speech recognition. So these things should work great for me. They still don't.

One hint for making it work better: Speak with a full stop between each word. Even a very brief break between words makes them more identifiable.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”