This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brake/Planter Drive Question on a Farmall 230

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Brake/Planter Drive Question on a Farmall 230

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:59 pm

Recently bought an original looking Farmall 230 with the fast hitch and several pieces of equipment that included a 2-row planter & side dresser unit. I'm not very familiar with these tractors, but I do know the planter and side dresser drive off of the center of the brake drums. While looking over the tractor last night getting it ready to try and start up, I noticed that the PO had a piece of old rubber hose over one side of the center drive piece of the brake drum to protect it I guess. Well hen I went to the other side and discovered this piece on the other one. It looks to be a red plastic cap with "IH" on it. Is that original and was it intended for its current use? The tractor is a 1957 model and I wouldn't think it came with something like that but if so it would be awesome knowing it's still There!!!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Brake/Planter Drive Question on a Farmall 230

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:03 am

Pics
Attachments
IMG_6312.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:00 am

Just wanted to see if anyone had anything to say about this. I guess it is possible it is a plastic top off of an aerosol can used as a cover, but wanted to ask in case this could have been something from the factory. I'd rather not remove it unless I have to in case it is stretched on there and wouldn't go back on.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 pm

In all the disk-brake equipped IH tractors I have seen, I have never seen one with any sort of plastic cover on the shaft. As I recall, some, if not all, of them came with a cap over the whole opening. It looked a lot like a cap on an auto front wheel hub. I don't know if it went in place of the metal part immediately behind your plastic cap or attached to it. If you have the parts catalog, you can see it in the 230 pictures in the front.

Since some of the control parts for a seed drive are there, some parts were previously attached to the shaft and the cap was put on after the seed drive was removed.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Yeah I was thinking that too since those other parts are on there, but was hoping that this might have been a factory cover. Sure would be really neat if so. I did have my doubts since plastic wasn't widely used like that back then.

I wonder what this could have came off of? Has a nice raised IH logo
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com