This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Solemn reminder - let's be safe out there

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Solemn reminder - let's be safe out there

Postby Bigdog » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:56 am

I know a lot of us love to unwind by taking a ride on our tractors. This was posted by Mike Sloane on the ATIS lists. Re-posted here with his permission. It is a reminder that we need to be careful. Especially when we have our kids or other family members with us:

Woman dies in fall from antique tractor
She enjoyed taking vehicle out for rides
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
BY JOE MOSZCZYNSKI
Newark (NJ)Star-Ledger Staff

A 46-year-old Frelinghuysen Township woman who mowed lawns for a living
and who enjoyed driving an antique tractor around her family's farm on
Route 94 was killed after being thrown from the vehicle, State Police said.

Sheryl Bennett was killed about 6 p.m. Friday after she was ejected from
the seat of her tractor when it struck a gully or ravine at the Ben nett
farm. She then fell under one of the tractor's large rear wheels, said
Detective Tom Preston of the State Police barracks in Hope.

"She used to ride the tractor around for fun ... for recreational
rides," said Preston. "Talking to other people during the investiga
tion, it wasn't unusual for her to just take the tractor out for a ride."

Preston described the tractor as a 1952 Farm All-Super M that was red
with some gray primer patches. The two front wheels are about the size
of motorcycle tires and the two rear wheels are about 4 feet high, he said.

Bennett, who had worked as a landscaper at William Ahlers Landscaping
Co. in Hardwick for about a dozen years, was not mowing grass at the
time of the accident and there were no attachments on the tractor.

The cause of death was head trauma. Police are awaiting a toxicology
report, said Preston.

Her employer, William Ahlers, said he found it "very unusual" when he
learned about Bennett's interest in riding tractors for recreational use
because she refused to drive a tractor on the job.

"She drove the lawn tractors -- walk behinds and riders, but Cheryl
never even wanted to sit on a tractor. She had a fear of the bigger
equipment," said Ahlers.

He also said that Bennett, a graduate of North Warren Regional High
School, had a very strong work ethic.

"She did it all. She was a great worker and was like my right-hand man,"
said Ahlers. "I don't think I could replace her in 100 years."

In addition to her husband, Thomas, who has participated in tractor
pulls at the Warren County Farmers' Fair, Bennett is survived by a
stepdaughter, Amanda Lee Bennett of Blairstown; her mother, Mildred King
of Syndersville, Pa,; a sister and three brothers.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:18 am

Wow. That is awful. I hope everyone is more careful
Image On To Bigger Things

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:46 am

Very sad story. I lost a 2 year old Grand Nephew a few years back when his "Paw Paw" was riding him on his lap while cutting grass on a riding lawn mower. Some how he fell off and it surprised his Grandfather so much, he ran over him and cut him up pretty bad. He died instantly.

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:15 am

Same here, I lost a cousin at age 5 when his Father ,a Doctor had him on the tractor with him and Mark fell off and I need not go any further. He almost quit being a Doctor.
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:23 am

There are many tragedies that can happen on a farm. Many of you remember my posting aobut a friend that was brush hogging when his loader apparenlty caught a wild grape vine and broke a large limb that hit him in the back of the head and neck, paralyzing him. He laid slumped on the tractor for a day and a half before he was found. He later died.

The one that tugs at my heart strings most though, happened to a family I only met once. They had a farm north of Troy Mo., and the house was in the edge of the field, as many are. The man was picking corn and had just unloaded form the picker bin into his grain truck, and was backing up the truck when his 2 year old son saw him and ran out to be with his Daddy. He backed over the child and never knew it until he looked forwrd and saw the child's body in his wheel tracks. That winter he sold the house and a couple acres of farm and moved. I later bought the hoause, not knowing the history of the accident and lived there for a couple years, but after learning about the accident, I soon moved. Having children about the same age I couldn't handle the thoughts either. The last I knew he still owned the farm ground, but rented it out, only returning to the area one or two times a year to check on it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby jim turner » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:14 am

A friend of mine near Kearney Mo had bought an H-Farmall with a brush hog and his Brother-in-law came over and he wanted to try it out so the owner let his 4 year old son ride with his Uncle and they went under some tree limbs and it brushed the little 4 year old off of the drawbar and he went under the brush hog well you know the rest of the story and the Dad and the Brother-in -law have had a mental problem since that time 15 years ago.
Jim Turner

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:41 pm

Being a machine builder I'm very careful around gears and moving things. It was about 25 years ago when my older brother passed away and it snowed that week and i was using a gravely tractor(walk behind) clearing snow. It had a starter generator setup with twin belts. I had army leather winter gloves on with the inner liners. I reached near the belts to clear the snow off with out thinking about what i was doing. I watched in shock and horror as my fingers went thru the belts and pulley. At the sametime i never felt a pinch or anything as my fingers came out of the bottom of the pulley. The adjusting groove seemed to loosen up and the generator pushed in at the sametime my fingers went thru the belts and pulley yet after it happened i shut it down and everything was tight. I looked up and said i owe you one bro, i believe he saved my butt that day.

The PTO drive shafts I think have claimed more lives and injuries than all other accidents with tractors. Don't let your mind wander keep your thoughts on what your doing its just you and the machine thats it. I always stop and ask myself sometimes is what i'm about to do safe? Is this unsafe? Is there any pinch points that i should beaware of? Loose shirts and turning shafts do not mix. Please besafe!!!!

I had a vericose vein pop open lastweek in my leg and it shot like a water pistol of blood. I bled like a gutted pig till i got a compress on it. Luckily I knew what to do and didn't panic I had it happen over 30+ years ago to me. I was lucky i was at home when it happened too. But what if i was out where there was nobody or nothing to use? It makes me think now to always have a first aid kit nearby it could save your life. When i was loggin fulltime i always had afirst aid kit in the truck too, at my camp and in all of my cars too. You never know when something can happen.

When an accident happens we need to remain cool and calm and deal with the situation at hand. With my leg i laid down to take the pressure off and added a compress to it till it stopped bleeding. And then i got medical attention and had it repaired by a surgeon.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”