code letters

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

code letters

Postby jrenn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Not a cub ? but someone may know .Was asked today help ID a oddball IHC super W4 as I have one .letter codes on the plate are H and J .I know J is the standard Rockford clutch but this has a hand lever. I don,t know what the H means . Rear wheel centers are solid ,no holes or spokes.they are IH but not in the parts cat for a w4 or super 4.rims are 24 in split.No drawbar,pto or platform and the disk brakes are operated by one lever.Story is it was never completed or used from new but has sat and hauled everywhere. My main question is what would the H mean.thanks

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: code letters

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:57 pm

Guy Fay says H is "rear frame cover and shifter attachment", whatever that is. Are you sure it isn't an I-4? Those wheels and rims and the missing attachments suggest industrial.

jrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jrenn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:15 am

serial is normal super 4 except for the H ,no induction of industrial and not shure if there were any .I went over most of the casting numbers and compared to mine and the parts cat including the rear cover and gear shift. The brake lever could be from a ta shifter .Wheels are in a bit from normal ,may not be room for fenders.has half moon plates bolted to the rear axel brackets ,maybe for a canapy instead of fenders. I was expecting a Hebard [I have one] but not so. I would want the owner permission for pictures

jrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jrenn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:34 pm

Did some hard work over nite[thinking] This tractor is a1953.By then there were no IH/hebard shop mules.This was bought by or for the city of Toronto[not that far from Hamilton] to become a shop mule but never finished.Little papr trail after that.It is a 53 year old NOS tractor but has sat and traveled to several places.The little sheet metal it has is rusty,engine is stuck.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Original intention for municipal use would explain no PTO etc.

The model number on the ID plate shows super W-4? What are the serial number prefix and serial number? IH never made a "Super I-4", so unclear to me how a "Super" version of an I-4 was tagged. Are the brakes only controlled by the lever or are there pedals too? Foot or hand clutch? Are there any stories as to what exactly the original use was to be?

I'd like to see some pictures if you got permission.

jrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jrenn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:22 pm

serial plate is normal for a super w4 except the H .It has a down ward exaust like a O4.One hand lever that could be a TA lever controls both disc brakes,no individual brakes or pedals at all. serial shows a J clutch but has only a hand lever.Not shure how that works unless the Rockford was replaced with a over center one.Hard to guess what a big city public works dept was thinking half a century ago but we are thinking an A14V WF Hebard shop mule got damaged and they planned on moving the shop mule stuff over to the Super 4 but it never was done.The owner wants a first class job with all the correct single dot bolts and so on. I see some pics of that size mule that still have a tractor look like our A21 .Next move is the owner after we gather all the info we can

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:36 am

The over-center clutch used in the 4-series tractors was made by Rockford. I don't know if they routinely stamped the "J" to go with it, never checked one. Buying a W-4 to convert into an A14V seems improbable. The only shared part of note is the engine. Everything else would have to be retrieved from the donor shop mule. If the engine was needed, a replacement engine would have made a lot more sense. If they needed something Shop Mule-like, there were plenty of ready made ones from other companies. One of them would have also made more sense. If they had something special to attach, it probably would have been easier to start with a Clark rather than a W-4.

I have seen one A14V with H sheet metal (and it is not power unit sheet metal like the A-14). The owner claims it was built that way and is the only one. I remain skeptical about the claim it came that way from the factory.

jrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jrenn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:34 pm

I fully agree with you Jim that it makes no sense.The tractor however dose exist and who knows how a large city works .I looked it over very carefully and I'm quite shure it was never used. Seeing a unused tractor of that age is something .There was a rumor of a new W9 in a quanset not so far from here at one time .owner got in a scrap with the dealer and or company over something .I don't know if it was true but could be something to it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 pm

I don't question the tractor, just the back story. New or near new machines don't pop up often but they do every so often. We recently found out about a new 140. I know of a near-new Farmall 240 and a few implements.

jrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jrenn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:50 pm

was there not a new yellow cub on a pallet and a open crate in a warehouse or on a dock a few years ago ,someone never came back from Viet Nam? Has anyone more info on that H code on the serial plate.I think we should find what that is about before any other work except the engine

jrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jrenn » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:00 pm

Finally spotted something different about the rear cover,holes across the back to support the drawbar were not drill and tapped.Final version is not certain yet but leaning to a stand up operator platform/drawbar combo.We think that was the reason for the hand clutch and brake.That would make stepping on and off to hook up freight wagons easy

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
1949 for sale
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo

Postby Steve Butram » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:40 am

Could you post some pixs
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

jrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jrenn » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:03 pm

I do have 2 pictures now but will have to school myself again how to post them and on a new Pc and program too. Grandchildren ;are you around?

jrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jrenn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:18 pm

Just a little update.Work has started on the SW4 or whatever it is. Finding a lot of the casting holes to mount sheet metal were never drilled and tapped.So it was never intended to have super W4 sheet metal.I think it will end up with a combination hitch and stand up platform and maybe a bit of a stool to one side.We feel it was going to be for a standup operator with the hand controls.Interesting piece

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”