This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle mower question

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Sickle mower question

Postby pokitisme » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:56 am

Will a sickle mower for international 560 fit on a Farmall h 1948 model. I've got a guy who wants to sell me one for a hundred bucks I think it would be a good deal if just for the hydraulic cylinder alone. But I don't know if I need a big chunk of metal laying around the yard lol
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Sickle mower question

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:07 pm

Need to know which mower, and how it attaches to tractor. Pictures would help.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:23 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Need to know which mower, and how it attaches to tractor. Pictures would help.

Well the guy called me back. But he refuses to tell me what ad it was on I completely forgot what Craigslist ad it was. Anyway he said it was a two-point hook up he said that he has a bunch of Farmall tractors and that it would not fit on a Farmall H unless you fabricated a top link hook up for it basically welding a top link hook up to the top of it somewhere. But it sounds very odd to me that a two-point hooked up would not work on a three-point setup. Anyway I'm still debating about it as to the pictures I'm sorry I lost the ad and the guy is an old guy and I don't know what's going on with him. But he said that the worked on an international 560 he told me it was a two-point hook up and he said it would not work on a Farmall H I told him I have a three point system and I also have a 3-point quick hitch. He seemed to think in his opinion that that would not work unless it was only 2 points system. In my estimation he point system would be the two bottom bars of a 3-point hook up. Then he starts telling me stuff about how the hydraulic cylinder won't work properly because it doesn't have enough pressure but I'm not entirely sure on that as well. He said he knew all about hydraulics but he couldn't quote me the cons for square inch on the hydraulic cylinder on the sickle. And he said it was a new cylinder and he put it on. Again possibly the old guy factor LOL. he said it was a wider cylinder and that it would take a lot more pressure. I don't know I'm just asking opinions here I'm still debating it. For a sickle mower and a hundred bucks and only 1 hour and 30 minute drive to the destination I'm thinking it might not be that bad of a deal even though I don't know if I could even use the thing. I don't particularly need a sickle mower but I have gotten hooked on buying tractor stuff so now whenever I see a hundred dollar deal fly by the mind gears start working.
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:00 pm

I guess a more better question would be can a sickle mower from a different brand be used on a different brand tractor. Such as a Ford mower on a Farmall. It basically just ends up to how it's connected doesn't it

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:57 pm

I assume you know all this, but just in case I will post it anyway. The 2 point has 2 prongs that hold and lift it. There are adapters that go on the 3 pt to convert it to a 2 pt. Or, you can make an adapter for the prongs that will attach to your 3 pt , but it will either have to be a rigid attachment, or if you want to use the pins, you will need to fabricate a place to attach the top link to the mower. A problem may be the hydraulic system of the tractor, depending on the weight of the mower and how far out behind you it ends up mounting. The further out, the more hydraulic pressure required.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:25 pm

pokitisme wrote:......... I don't particularly need a sickle mower but I have gotten hooked on buying tractor stuff so now whenever I see a hundred dollar deal fly by the mind gears start working.
Walk away. This is your first lesson in even a good deal isn't always a good deal. 1. Will take modifications to get it to work which will take time and money. 2. You don't know the working condition for certain, which could take time and money. 3. It's a three hour round trip whether you bring it home or not, again time and money. To me that hundred dollar deal is looking like a five or six hundred dollar deal easily. I think you can find a three point mower closer that will hook right up for that kind of money. It can be any brand, that's the benefit of three point, universal as long as it's the same category size. Two point or really Fast Hitch was IH exclusive, just like Allis Chalmers snap coupler, and Case Eagle Hitch.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:56 am

Scrivet wrote:
pokitisme wrote:......... I don't particularly need a sickle mower but I have gotten hooked on buying tractor stuff so now whenever I see a hundred dollar deal fly by the mind gears start working.
Walk away. This is your first lesson in even a good deal isn't always a good deal. 1. Will take modifications to get it to work which will take time and money. 2. You don't know the working condition for certain, which could take time and money. 3. It's a three hour round trip whether you bring it home or not, again time and money. To me that hundred dollar deal is looking like a five or six hundred dollar deal easily. I think you can find a three point mower closer that will hook right up for that kind of money. It can be any brand, that's the benefit of three point, universal as long as it's the same category size. Two point or really Fast Hitch was IH exclusive, just like Allis Chalmers snap coupler, and Case Eagle Hitch.

Yeah kind sir I'm taking your advice on that. Lots of things kind of annoyed me. First off the guy would never give me his exact address he was an older guy but that doesn't change the fact that his communication was very bad next he would never give me the ad for the Craigslist thing. Cuz I forgot which add it was. Then he called me up Thursday asking when was I going to come out and I said hey look I don't have the money for it I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to and he changed his whole point of view which was well it will still be sitting here. So instead today I went out and bought a two bottom plow which I had my eye on for a hundred bucks instead lol. But you're right that's sickle was a 2 hitch sickle and I'm not good at welding my Harbor Freight 125 amp welder isn't doing the job it's supposed to LOL