This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

H Charging Issue

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ThePunisher
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: k8n4z6

H Charging Issue

Postby ThePunisher » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Well, I've been lurking for a while here, but just joined today in hopes that someone can shed some light on a mystery. I have a 1940 H that the previous owner converted to 12v with a gm 3 wire alternator. In place of the amp gauge was just the light that goes out once the alternator excites. I installed an amp gauge and moved the light to the side, and everything was great for the last 3 weeks. The light was on when I started the tractor, then would go out once I got past half throttle and the amp gauge would show positive amperage. Yay! However, out of the blue today, I reved the motor up but the light will not go out no matter what I do. What should I be looking for here? I've checked all the wire connections and nothing seems to be loose or off...any ideas?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: H Charging Issue

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Alternators do go bad. Remove and have tested at your local auto parts store.

If bad replace with a single wire Delco clone.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ThePunisher
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby ThePunisher » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Fair enough - I'll see what the tests show. Thanks for the quick tip

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:50 pm

I use to repair my own alternators. Until the repair parts cost more than a rebuilt alternator with a 1 year warranty.

I have only one tractor left with the 3 wire Delco alternator. As the 3 wire alternators failed, replaced with the 1 wire. Have to remove or tape up two wires. Installation is dirt simple.

No in town NAPA store. The Delco single wire clones were purchased from a Federate affiliated auto parts store. The alternators start charging upon engine start up, even at low RPMs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ThePunisher
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby ThePunisher » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:28 pm

Well, turns out it was simple - the bracket that adjusts the tightness was broke off at the motor side - when I took the alternator off to have it tested, I discovered the bolt on the bracket had sheared off. Even though the pulley was still turning, it was slipping at higher speeds and would not turn fast enough to excite the alternator. Alternator tested good, and I fabbed a new bracket and all is well now.

ThePunisher
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby ThePunisher » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:56 pm

That being said, what would I need to do to convert to a one wire? I assume I would still keep the number 10 wire off the alternator to the amp gauge, but what about the others? How does that work?

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:03 pm

If your current setup works fine, why change it?
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:49 am

If the day comes where the 3-wire alternator stops working and you convert to a 1-wire, all you have to do is remove or tape off the other two wires.