This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New owner.

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dlofc1
Zip Code: 38221

New owner.

Postby dlofc1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:05 pm

I picked up a Farmall B with a blade setup for $575 dollars off of Facebook marketplace today. That site is consistently tempting me into trouble but in this case, I am glad for it. It is far from perfect but I have several classic vehicles and it has been converted to 12v already. For the most part, it seemed to perform well when I used it today. My main concern was the front end. It lacks any weights for the front and I had to keep the blade on the light side to keep the front end happy. The tractors I operated and learned on as a teenager (Big AC and MF) had weights to help with the attachments and stability. Do many here run some kind of weights on the front of these smaller tractors? I bought it mainly for the blade and doing anything that the F350 would be endangered of getting stuck doing. If you do run weights, where did you buy your setup?

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New owner.

Postby Stanton » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:51 am

Welcome to the Forum! See you're from east of Paris, TN. Ever eat at Patti's Settlement up near Grand Rivers? Great place!

Won't be able to answer your weight question, but know that IH utilized front wheel weights on all their model A, B and C's.

While you're waiting for a response, take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Don't know if you have any of the manuals to your B, but after your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Might also enjoy reading through this thread (even though it’s for a Cub, much can be applied to any tractor just brought home): What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see it.

Remember:
• When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
• Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
• When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

dlofc1

Postby dlofc1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 am

We used to goto Patty's every Christmas but it has been a few years. Absolutely gorgeous Christmas lights there and I will take a look through those post. I lurked a little before I registered gleaning some information on them.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:26 am

Congratulations on your purchase! I do not have weight on the front of my B. I would think that one could build a box that hangs off the front that attaches to the tapped holes in the sides of the front bolster. I'm not sure if there is a wheel weight that will attach to the B's front wheels (EDIT - See below).

There is a manual on this site that covers the Farmall A/B/BN that may be useful to you if you don't already have a manual. The Farmall B is about 95% common with an A.

Since this tractor is new to you, you might want to check your bolts that hold the rims to the wheel centers. I was alarmed when I pulled the bolts on my B.

See this post:

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=99998

Last edited by Urbish on Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 am

I stand corrected, you can install single or double wheel weights on each front wheel of your B. This would be preferable to hanging a box off the front as long as they provide enough weight to do what you want to do. The p/n is 6788-D. A quick search of the internet shows that they can be found, but will cost! http://www.weddeandsons.com/parts-detail.php?q=10
Attachments
Farmall B front weights.JPG
Jim

Circle of Safety

dlofc1

Postby dlofc1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:08 pm

I thought it was funky that this one did not come with a box built on it but building one would not be a hassle. The wheel weights would be better. It would keep the center of gravity much lower but I will have to look at the cost. I have plenty of steel. Here is a picture of it. The wheel bearings in to front are a little lose but they are easy enough to swap out. It burns a little oil but once more for the price, I couldn't turn it up. Everything works on it and this mornings cold start did not even require a choke. But thanks for some answers on the weights.
Attachments
Tractor.jpg