This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Distributor

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tractor Rod
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 67357

Distributor

Postby Tractor Rod » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:31 am

:help:

My farmall B has a different looking type of distributor with four screws holding the cap onto the unit. Are the points inside of that and can a new cap be ordered? I ordered in a tuneup kit and a black standard cap was included which is not the right item. Any advice on where to order the right kit?This is my first experience with a tuneup on my great B! Thanks, Rod

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Distributor

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:14 am

You'll have to get tune-up parts for a Delco distributor. What you have is an aftermarket conversion from mag - battery ignition. You might post a pic. so we can be sure but if its the one I think it is, parts for a Ferguson 35, and quite a few others, will fit. Parts are also common to 60's 4 cyl. GM cars.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:26 am

You need to identify the make of the distributor. ID information should be imprinted some place on the distributor body or an attached tag. Once you have that information you will/should be able to obtain parts.

The points are under the distributor cap. In most cases the condensor is located under the distributor cap. The condensor can be located out side the distributor cap, attached to the ignition coil.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Tractor Rod
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 67357

Postby Tractor Rod » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:47 am

Thanks to all for your help. I now know what to order.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:46 am

Most Delco distributors I'm familiar with have caps held by either 2 clips or 2 screws. I haven't seen one with 4 screws. I have seen magnetos (non-IH) with 4 screws holding the cap. I am curious what this tractor really has. As Gary suggested, posting a picture might help with a ID. If course, of it has an attached tag, it should give the answer.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:50 am

I think you're right, Jim, they just look like there could be 4 of them. The one I was thinking of would be like those on your Corvairs. It could be a Fairbanks Morse mag. Please post a pic, I'm real curious, now!

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:48 am

I think some came with a WICO magneto from the factory. I don't know if it was an option or a shortage of IH magnetos.

https://brillman.com/product/wico-x-ser ... gneto-cap/

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:02 pm

Gary Dotson wrote:I think you're right, Jim, they just look like there could be 4 of them. The one I was thinking of would be like those on your Corvairs. It could be a Fairbanks Morse mag.

The 2 blank spots on the Delco caps cover the 2 screws that hold the breaker plate. Thus the body of the distributor has 4 equally spaced screw holes. Versions of that distributor were common on Chevy 6-cylinder engines from '62 on for quite a while. I don't know if they were used in other GM lines. I think the early Chevy II and the Vega used 4-cylinder variants of it as well.

indy61 wrote:I think some came with a WICO magneto from the factory. I don't know if it was an option or a shortage of IH magnetos.

I don't think any were installed at the factory. They may have been supplied as replacement units after IH quit building magnetos.

Return to “Farmall B & BN”