This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wet Sleeve O-Ring Lube/Sealant

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 55975

Wet Sleeve O-Ring Lube/Sealant

Postby arlen » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:28 pm

So I was talking to the local expert on antique tractor rebuilding today. I asked him what I should use on my cylinder sleeve o-rings. I know soap is a poplar choice. He said for decades he has used blue RTV! He said he installs the O-ring in the groove, then smears a bead around on top of the O-Ring. He said it acts as a lube, and squeezes around the ring groove and helps with the imperfections that these old blocks have.
He said he has not had a single problem doing that in countless rebuilds in gas and Diesel engines.
I did a little googling, and I found a few people that swear by it.
Just curious if any of you fine people have did that? If not, do you use liquid soap?

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Wet Sleeve O-Ring Lube/Sealant

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:01 am

I've never used RTV but I see no reason not to. Back in the day, when I was doing some of this kind of work, the engine blocks were not as old and pitted (old guy here) we lubed them with tire mounting soap. You need something slippery, for sure, and RTV is slippery. I wouldn't put big gobs of it in there, just enough to lube and seal it.

arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby arlen » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:46 am

Gary Dotson wrote:I've never used RTV but I see no reason not to. Back in the day, when I was doing some of this kind of work, the engine blocks were not as old and pitted (old guy here) we lubed them with tire mounting soap. You need something slippery, for sure, and RTV is slippery. I wouldn't put big gobs of it in there, just enough to lube and seal it.

Thanks for the feedback Gary. I think I’m going use the RTV.
My grooves look pretty good I think, but there is 1 spot about .020” by .060” right in the middle of one groove. Doesn’t look like rust pitting, but more like a casting defect.
I will feel a little better giving the o-ring just a little help.
I will be a little annoyed if after all this work and expense I have a leaky sleeve :D

arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby arlen » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:15 pm

The sleeves pretty much dropped right in. I was able to easily seat them by hand. I used 9 1/2 bolts and fender washers to hold them at bottom until the silicone set.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:01 am

I'm glad they went in easily for you. Leave the bolts and washers in place till you're ready to install the head.