This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb to governor linkage adustment

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 55975

Carb to governor linkage adustment

Postby arlen » Sun May 09, 2021 10:21 am

I’ve read a few things on adjusting the linkage between the governor and the carburetor, and they say that with the throttle lever all the way forward, which puts the carburetor governor lever all the way towards the carburetor, you should adjust the linkage to the carburetor throttle until pin freely slips in place. My problem is that I can’t get that much adjustment even with the clevis tightened all the way down. I have to move the governor linkage about an eighth of an inch forward to slip the pin in. I could probably get enough adjustment if I remove the jam nut from the clevis, but I’m wondering if something else is wrong but I don’t know what it could be. Any ideas?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Carb to governor linkage adustment

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 09, 2021 11:32 am

You may be facing the result of wear. When you move the governor arm forward, does it move freely or do you run into pressure? If it moves freely, I'd probably just pin it up and go on. (I have in the past suggested gently pushing the arm forward to remove any slack, then adjusting the rod so the pin goes in freely. If you are encountering resistance to moving the arm far enough for the pin to go in, check the bumper spring. It may be turned in too far.

arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby arlen » Sun May 09, 2021 12:02 pm

It’s under spring tension when I try to push it forward, but it has plenty of travel. I put a rebuild kit in the governor, and the overall wear looked pretty good. There was a little wear on the fingers that ride on the thrust bearing. I also replaced the bumper spring, and thrust bearing. I can’t really remember now, but does the bumper spring come into play when it’s in this state?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 09, 2021 2:33 pm

It can, depending on how it is adjusted.

arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby arlen » Mon May 10, 2021 3:58 pm

[quote="Jim Becker"]It can, depending on how it is adjusted.[/quote
Thanks, I will play around with the bumper adjustment.