This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wife's old B

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Boomer84
Zip Code: 74066
Tractors Owned: 1940 Farmall B

Wife's old B

Postby Boomer84 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:12 am

My wife's grandfather had a thing for old tractors. He has acquired many over his lifetime and gave most of them away. Every one of his grandkids got a nice running old tractor as teenagers. This particular B was special as it was his Wives favorite to drive and use. My wife was gifted this 1940 B and has been a cherished belonging ever since. A few years ago, before I met my wife, she fell on some hard times and had to sell the B to a family friend to make ends meet. A few weeks ago we found out that that family friend still had the B and he was in a bit of a bind and wanted to sell it. We were able to buy it back and haul it home last week.

Since we got it home I've been making a plan to get the old girl running again. It has been stored outdoors, non running for many years. The engine still turns over so hopefully I wont have to dig too deep into the innards. I'm planning to drain, flush and refill all fluids, rebuild carb, rebuild ignition system and rewire the entire tractor. The wiring is a dang mess. It was converted to 12v at some point and the goats have eaten most of the wires. Thankfully these tractors are so simple, only half a dozen or so wires on the whole thing, I should be able to get it going again soon.

The front tires are badly rotted and don't hold air, so I need to source a couple of those. Other than that just some touchup paint and some TLC and hopefully I'll have Little Red running again.

My wife's grandfather found out that we purchased the B and he is beyond excited to see it running again. He wants to take the ole girl out for a drive again before he is unable to. So I would like to get it done fairly quickly.

Attached is a picture of my father and my daughter on Little Red after we hauled her home and put her in the shop.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RedFred
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub with 22 sickle mower,Grader blade with brackets for snow plow, Swaying draw bar,193 moldboard plow and a spring tooth field cultivator.

Re: Wife's old B

Postby RedFred » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:12 am

I hope it all goes well with getting her going she's and nice looking tractor considering it sat outside for many years.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:25 am

Welcome to the forum.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:41 am

While at first thought I was going to say this is a "story with a happy ending"!

But this story is still being written, and is sounding good!

I hope your story has many wonderful chapters, and no ending!

Ps,

Thats a nice looking "stored outside" tractor!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Boomer84

Postby Boomer84 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:28 pm

SamsFarm wrote:While at first thought I was going to say this is a "story with a happy ending"!

But this story is still being written, and is sounding good!

I hope your story has many wonderful chapters, and no ending!

Ps,

Thats a nice looking "stored outside" tractor!

Yes I hope to keep you guys updated as to my progress. Found this place doing research and seems like a lot of good knowledgeable people here willing to help if I need it.

We were very surprised as to the condition of the B. A good wash and buff will have the paint looking pretty dang good. The engine turns over and no weird noises from the trans/rear end while moving it so hopefully some new fluids, wires and some TLC will have her running again.
1940 Farmall B

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:42 pm

Welcome to the B club. Many members here have a B; I've got a '45. Keep us posted on your progress.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Boomer84

Postby Boomer84 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:22 am

Haven't accomplished a whole lot on the B this week, but got a few little things started. Disassembled the carb and got it soaking in some cleaner, waiting on rebuild kit to reassemble it. Drained the engine oil and found some water in the bottom of the sump, maybe an inch or so or water, the oil was also way overfilled. Several gallons of oil was in the crankcase. Ran some kerosene thru the motor to flush out anything that might be left, changed the filter and refilled with fresh oil. Turned the engine over with the starter and its making good oil pressure and oil is getting to the top end and no funny noises so hopefully I don't have to tear into the engine any deeper.

Also checked my compressions. All 4 cylinders have decent compression, a bit low, but I think after a few heat cycles the rings might come around.

Started gathering the wiring and connections needed to rewire the tractor. Whoever did the 12v mod and wired this tractor last did a heck of a botch job on the wiring, so I've created a new wiring layout diagram and started building a new custom harness for this particular B. Sounds like a big job but these little B's only have a couple of circuits so it's fairly straight forward and easy to lay out a new harness.
1940 Farmall B

Tractor Rod
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 67357

Postby Tractor Rod » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:15 am

Your B looks great for being parked outside for so many years. After you clean up the surface, paint, with new decals it will look super! The best part is the “innards”….. sounds like they are in great shape so fluids, oil, and wiring should be a piece of cake. Enjoy and glad it is back in your immediate family! Keep us informed.

Boomer84

Postby Boomer84 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:52 pm

Haven't had much time to work in the shop the last few weeks, but have managed to get a few little things done. Drained the transmission/pto fluids, found a lot of water in the gearbox, removed transmission cover/shifter and inspected the innards. Found a little surface rust in the tranny, all the gears and bearings seem to be in decent condition so I cleaned and flushed out the gunk and refilled with fresh gear oil. I had similar findings in the rear drives, water in with the oil, flushed and refilled with fresh oil.

Next on my agenda is to flush out the fuel tank and lines and get the fuel system reassembled. Just received my tune-up kit for the magneto so will be tinkering with that as well. Flush the coolant system and get her running again soon.

I love how simple this little tractor is. I'm having a blast tinkering with it. My wife thinks I have a new addiction and will be hunting down another tractor to rehab after this ones up and going.
1940 Farmall B

Boomer84

Postby Boomer84 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:09 am

Does anyone happen to know the thread pitch for the idle jet in the zenith carb? My threads are a bit buggered up and need to get a tap to chase the threads. My current tap and die kit doesn't go that small.

Pic of jet.
1940 Farmall B

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:42 am

Contact Morgan at McDonald Carb & Ignition. He would know.
706-367-4179
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Boomer84

Postby Boomer84 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:23 am

Haven't given an update in a while. I've finished the carb rebuild, had to have the tool and die machinist at work help me with the damaged threads on the bowl, Got it taken care of and put back together. Started the wiring a few weeks ago, when I opened up the electrical box that holds the ammeter and light switch, found it packed full of spider and wasp nest that caused the inside of the box to be badly corroded. Cleaned up all the rust primed and painted that. While doing paint work I repainted the battery box, the bottom of the fuel tank, and the front wheels. Got tires mounted on the front and got the front end put back together. Got the new wiring harnesses 90% completed. just need to finish the wiring in the switch box. Also got fresh fluids throughout the tractor. After I finish the wiring I've got the give the magneto some attention and put the rest back together and run it. Hopefully my next update will include a video of it running.
1940 Farmall B

Return to “Farmall B & BN”