This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Turns over, won't start

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick_Farmall B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46074

Turns over, won't start

Postby Rick_Farmall B » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:54 am

Hello everyone. New to the site and looking for help. I've got a 194? Farmall B I bought last year to mow the pasture with. It ran once this spring and the next time I went to start it, it turns over but won't start. A lot of gas was weeping from the carb, so I took it apart, cleaned it, and put back together. It started, ran for a few seconds and them shut down. Now it won't start again. Also, the lights won't turn on although they used to. Does the engine have to be running in order for them to be on. I can't remember and I don't have any electrical drawings. I also don't know the age because I don't know where to find the serial number. Is that enough problems to start with?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Turns over, won't start

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:50 pm

You did not mention the type ignition you have, but if it is all still original, this should be the wiring diagram. As to the lights, I would first clean the clips that hold the fuse (back of light switch). For the running only a few minutes and dying, I would first expect dirt in gas tank or carb, and after that, condenser or coil. Also make sure the vent in fuel tank is open.

diagram compliments of Farmall Bob
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rick_Farmall B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46074

Postby Rick_Farmall B » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:28 pm

The ignition had been converted to 12v. I don't remember having the gas leakage from the carb weep hole last year that I'm currently seeing. Each time I try to start it, after releasing the starter switch, gas runs pretty steady from the weep hole.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:56 am

Does it just blurp out some gas, or does it keep running incessantly?

A little gas indicates you're over-choking it, flooding the engine to where there is too much fuel in the air-fuel mix to fire. Don't set the choke and crank the engine. Blip the choke quickly on and off until the engine fires, then feather it to keep the engine running for the first few seconds. Sometimes choke is not even necessary. There is no need to take the carb apart for this.

If the gas flow does not stop that means the float needle is not closing properly. That is likely caused by the float being set wrong, catching on the side of the fuel bowl, or having a hole in it. In this case the carburetor needs to come apart.

Return to “Farmall B & BN”