This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No Start

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tractorman21
Zip Code: 23322

No Start

Postby tractorman21 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:08 pm

Hello,
I just recently purchased a cub cadet model 107 that has been sitting for about 6 years. The previous owner started a restoration and then gave up. He was sharp enough to drain all of the gas from the tank and carb. before storing the motor.
I purchased a new battery and put some gas in the tank to see if it will start. It turns over and the engine is getting fuel, but it will not start. The coil has power to both sides with the switch on and the points seem ok. I am not seeing any spark to the plug and i changed the coil hoping that would help. It still doesn't start and I am not seeing any spark at the plug. The spark plug looks ok and the gap is set at .025" . What else should I be looking for?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: No Start

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:04 am

Clean and adjust the points.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:52 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Clean and adjust the points.
Yup. Most likely the problem or the problem area.

Also, finger in spark plug hole, checking for compression.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tractorman21

Postby tractorman21 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:22 am

Cleaned the points and set the gap @ .020" and the mower started right up and sounds good. Hard to believe the mower has been sitting around for so long and it still runs good. The hydrostatic transmission seems operate very well.

Is there anywhere I can a manual that shows how to install the deck? I got the deck and some parts with the mower, but I am thinking that there are some missing pieces. I will try to take some photos to show what I have.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:54 pm

Top left side of your mower deck is/should be a tag with the deck's model number. Search for online manuals for your mower deck.

Post photos of your mower deck and parts. There are several slightly different main mounting frames and mounting hangers for the narrow framed Cub Cadets mowers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:29 pm

Clean the ignition wire where it goes into the coil. They make a special brush for cleaning the wire socket in the ign coil. This brush cleans distributor caps too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:31 pm

tractorman21 wrote:Cleaned the points and set the gap @ .020" and the mower started right up and sounds good. Hard to believe the mower has been sitting around for so long and it still runs good. The hydrostatic transmission seems operate very well.

Is there anywhere I can a manual that shows how to install the deck? I got the deck and some parts with the mower, but I am thinking that there are some missing pieces. I will try to take some photos to show what I have.

These old cub cadets will out last anything. They will last into the next century.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

tractorman21

Postby tractorman21 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:09 pm

I have some photos of the deck and the additional parts that came with it, but I don't know how to upload them? What's the procedure for posting photos?

Just by chance, I found a Cub Cadet 102 mower sitting in a framer's barn and it has a 38" deck on it. Will the deck parts on this mower fit on my 127? After looking at the 102, I am pretty sure that I am missing some parts that attach to the deck to the frame.
The 102 mower has been sitting inside a barn for 30 plus years and looks to be in fairly decent shape. The farmer thought it had an engine issue and that's why it was parked, but he really couldn't remember.
Is the mower worth buying for parts if I can get the farmer to sell it?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:27 pm

tractorman21 wrote:Just by chance, I found a Cub Cadet 102 mower sitting in a framer's barn and it has a 38" deck on it. Will the deck parts on this mower fit on my 127?
As I stated earlier, the main mounting frames and mounating hardware are frequently slightly different. But not a problem. You may have to change some mounting brackets.

Buy the deck. Deck parts are expensive, but still obtainable. A complete spindle for one of the narrow framed Cub Cadets is $150-, last time I purchased one.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:43 pm

There are two different mower spindles the older 38”/42”/48” spindles take tapered roller bearings. These can be rebuilt. The drive pulley is in the middle of the deck. The newer spindles like on the 44c/44” mower use cartridge assemblies. These you replace. The drive pulley is offset to one side.

Here’s the cub cadet tractors I can’t find the attachments they had listed.
https://www.partstree.com/brands/cub-ca ... 0-to-3000/

Return to “Cub Cadet”