This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

982 Issues

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
NewToThis
Zip Code: 54703

982 Issues

Postby NewToThis » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:51 pm

Hello Group-
I created an account here hoping to find some solid answers. Been looking online for over an hour and cannot seem to find what Im looking for. Heres the deal:

Working for a guy who owns a 982 with all the attachments. (I didnt grow up on a farm so Im learning as I go), but the 982 currently has a snow thrower mounted on front. Today he wanted me to hook up a small trailer to put brush in but said I should use the 3 point hitch rather than the stock bumper hitch.

I found the 3 point (Brimley) and got it on. The hitch is too high for the trailer tongue when its in the "Up" position, which, of course it has to be to keep the snow thrower off the ground.

After looking in the manual I see one photo on page 19 that talks about hydraulic controls and it shows two levers side by side. His model just has one level to raise and lower the front attachment. He is wondering why there isnt an option to manipulate the 3 point controls without them being tied to the front controls. I do not feel this is possible with his current setup and just need confirmation from people who know a heckuva lot more about this stuff than I do. Thanks for any help sent my way.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 982 Issues

Postby indy61 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:38 pm

Just use the stock trailer hitch.

NewToThis

Postby NewToThis » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:59 pm

Well, I wanted to but he was concerned it would "pinch" the bar of the trailer, hence the 3 point hitch setup. Im fairly certain its not possible to separate the 3 point from the front controls as his tractor is set up, was just looking for confirmation here.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:29 pm

You can adjust the height of the 3-point drawbar by using the two adjustments. They are the vertical tubes next to the rear tires, located near the lower end of the lift arm.
I have an excuse. CRS.

NewToThis

Postby NewToThis » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:55 pm

Yep, Im familiar with that part and its not my issue. The issue is using the 3 point in the rear while there is a snow thrower mounted on front and the boss thought there was separate controls for each. I didnt see it in the manual or anything I read online. If we lower the 3 point to hook the trailer up the snow thrower also lowers, which means we cant drive around his property with both the snow thrower AND trailer mounted at the same time.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:27 am

What he is saying is raise the snowthrower up all the way, then without touching the hydraulics, lower the rear 3-point arms using the tubes on the back so the 3-point arms are closer to the ground. (Maybe parallel to the ground)
I don't know if there is a way to separate the front and rear lifts.

Other options would be to use a chain or ratchet strap to hold the blower up.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Bermuda Ken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53536
Tractors Owned: Tractors owned past/present:

Farmall.....F-1206, F-806 sn#501.

Cub Cadet...Original(s), 122, Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782, 782 Diesel (2), 984, 982, CADET 000 LT Prototype.

Postby Bermuda Ken » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:48 pm

The front and rear lifts are interconnected. You can not separate the two.

The outer lever on the dash activates the lift.

The inner lever runs the hyd outlets at the front of the tractor.

Use the drawbar....IH deigned this to be the tractors towing point.
Cub Cadets....Engineered for people who know better!

NewToThis

Postby NewToThis » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:25 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Unfortunately, this guy would not go for a ratchet strap quick fix, he is highly particular that things look "right" even though what he is trying is far from it.
And yes, I am aware there are models with two levers side-by-side, but his model only has the lone lever. He was under the impression there was a way to separate the front controls from the 3 pt controls. After thinking about it for a day he realized he was in error and we will be using the stock hitch plate as shown in the photo above.
Again, thanks to all, this place is a good source so dont be surprised if I come up with more questions down the road.

Return to “Cub Cadet”