This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My used kolher engine

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:38 pm

BigBill wrote:The muffler specs does say the 10hp & 12hp & 14hp take the same muffler but my 12hp muffler won't fit it because its a 1 3/8" ID. I wonder if i can get by using the 10/12/14 hp muffler and welding a 1 1/2" muffler pipe to it so it will bolt up. Or i just may fab a new muffler.

Reducing coupling, in the plumbing department, local hardware store.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:57 pm

I'm afraid to take the fitting out of the block, for me sometimes the easiest jobs can go all wrong in a heart beat. I found a muffler reducer at Advanced auto parts for a $1.50 It goes from 1 1/2" to 1 3/8" so i can weld it to a cheaper cadet muffler so it will work. Now i can adapt the 1 1/2" exhaust port to the cadet 1 3/8" muffler.

On a sad note this is now on hold. I crashed my int154 cub 3260 mower deck into a low stump in the high grass while cutting my sons lawn. He just took down a few trees and the stumps were small but it did me in. We removed the mower deck and pulled off the baffles and i started wire brushing the inside of the deck. I figure while i straighten out the baffles i might as well paint it up too. I just can't stay with one task till its finished lately.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:02 am

Yes physical fitness is a big factor with Kohler engines in the Cubs. In the days of the cast iron Kohlers, Kohler would make specific models to fit OEM applications, each possibly being different in its own little ways. That isn't so much the case with current Kohler aluminum engines, but the market was much different years back.

With the '82 models people think a Kohler KT17 is a KT17, regardless what it was in. They try to fit one from a Deere 317 or other application in to a Cub 682/782, and run out of luck very quickly, and "making it fit" is either a futile effort for the expert machinist, or just plain impossible. With many of the Cub models, you'll find that simply obtaining a Kohler engine of the same model number will not likely be a direct drop-in, unless the engine came from an identical model of Cub.

Many of the last production/NOS cast iron Kohler K series singles I have seen sold through distributors have been painted gray, which might go against the previous norm for these engines, so I'm not sure that color can be used as a determining factor for fit applications- please don't gnaw on me if I am wrong :)

-Fordlords-

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Like i said it appears to be from a cadet. The 14hp does fit in my 108 wide frame. So far i need to maker a muffler fit. The k301 pto clutch is suppose to fit it too. If everything goes well, well maybe this time it will, it has to go good one time sooner or later....

I'll checkout the rotation tomorrow. If its wrong i have a project engine to use with the CC gear reduction(removed) when i install the 154 finals. It just may work out anyway either way its ok. I just may rework my CC70 now so i need to cut and weld a flywhhel pocket in the frame, i think i'll just box it with agussets.
Last edited by BigBill on Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:48 pm

Bill I think you mentioned previously that the exhaust had a sleeve on it. If you go to a NAPA store they have two pages of small engine mufflers in their lawn and garden equipment catalog. If you have the threads inside the exhaust port showing you can also get the correct size "pepper shaker" muffler . theirs a good chance your Kohlers both have 1-1/8 crankshafts with keyways. They may be different lengths, but if the new one is longer.............theres always the hacksaw.
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:59 pm

This has been on the back burner because i wasn't sure what it is. I just found out tonight its a John Deere Kolher 14hp #60318 #K321AQS. I think its the correct rotation but will it fit in my cadet? It already has the 4 bolt adapter on the flywheel side for the clutch setup with the little vee belt pulley on it. This is why the exhaust is a different size.

I just found a 3rd pair of int154 cub finals for $50 complete. Parts is parts right?