This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Winter storage; To Stabil or not to Stabil?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Steve.43
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46992
Tractors Owned: 1948 F Cub
1962 Cub LoBoy
Cub Cadets: SO76, 2 Originals, 70, 1650.
IH Trucks: '66 Scout 800.

Postby Steve.43 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:01 pm

I'm with Bill. I'm retired now, but I spent many years in the outboard motor repair business. We found that "running them dry" didn't really run them dry. In an outboard, when the gas is shut off about 1/8" of gas remains in the float bowl after the engine stops running. This evaporates over the winter and turns to goo. It may not bother you the first year, or even the second, but sooner or later it's carburetor overhaul time. We used an OMC product called "2+4 Fuel Conditioner" and left the carburetors full. They started in the spring like they were shut off the day before. If Cub carburetors are like those found in outboards, I'd run a good fuel stabilizer through it until the carburetor is full of stabilized gas and leave the float bowl full.

By the way, does anybody here use Marvel's Mystery Oil for this purpose? I've heard it works as well as or better than Sta-Bil.

My 2 cents,

Steve.43
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don't have it."--Henry Ford

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:20 am

Wow, there appears to be two definite schools of thought on long term storage. What i'm gonna do is take the best of both worlds, run the carb dry, drain the float bowl AND use a stabilizer!
-Ken
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles