This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet Increased Traction....."UPDATE"

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Cub Cadet Increased Traction....."UPDATE"

Postby BigBill » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:08 am

I put my 29"-12:50-15" Tru-Power tires on my 70 cub cadet and tried pushing dirt yesterday. It had no problem at all and no wheel spin too. Its all brute force now with the larger tires. I popped rocks up and out of the dirt and it kept going. Now i'm worried about the cub cadet snow plow and frame not being strong enough. I may need to add a better plow setup with a subframe. I'm also thinking of adding a 6 pin driving clutch with a stronger clutch spring. With the increase in traction i'm sure every weak link inbetween will show up sooner or later. If I add on the int154 final drives it may even lighten up the load on the drivetrain and engine too. So far everything seems doable. I'm sure it will shear the drive pins before anything else happens. The tranny can take it i'm sure. I think the beefed up cub cadet will do fine.

It proves that there were way over built.
Last edited by BigBill on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:58 am

BigBill,
where's those pictures? :{_}:

-Ken
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:25 am

I sent them to gitractorman.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: J7Z1B7

Postby trac48 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:55 pm

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: J7Z1B7

Postby trac48 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:24 pm

Bib Bill's 154

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:03 pm

Bill, your's and the others' pictures have just about convinced me to switch over to traditional chevron style tractor tires for my Cadet instead of the turf tires on it now. I'm hoping in addition to looking cool, it'll give me more traction on some of the steep grades i've got to mow which are sometimes slippery moist from being in perpetual shade.

Bill or anyone,
the question i have, do chevron threaded tires tear up a lawn under normal mowing?
I'm thinking there's a reason turf tires exist with their less aggressive thread designs!
-Ken
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy

Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand

Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:44 pm

I have found the the ag tires do less damage to the lawn than turf tires do. They do not break loose and spin on the grass as easy as turf's do, and unless the ground is very wet and soft, they do not leave marks in the ground. I have used ag tires for mowing my yard for several years, and will not go back to the turf tires unless I have to for some reason, such as a flat tire or running out of ag's.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:34 am

With the smaller turf tires they spin sometimes and tear up the grass. I noticed with the 26" 12:00-12" turf tires they seem to have more traction and bite over the smaller turf tires but they do dig in and spin too if the mower deck hits something. With the AG tires so far it no spin at all, its all traction. I'm even seeing the chevron AG threads in my gravel driveway when i drive down it so there digging in. On my grass there's no tracks or digs at all with the AG tires.

If your going to use Tru Power tires there's a site with better prices for buying two tires that i can post if you want me too. I saved a lot of $$ on the 29-12:50-15's.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:29 am

I purchased some sleeves that are 3/4" ID and 1" OD from TSC to put the int154 front tires on my 70 cadet. You need two sleeves for each side and one sleeve gets cut to fit. The sleeves with the tire are short about 5/16" from the end of the spindle but the sleeve can hold it and it tightens up with a longer bolt against the sleeve. The 400-12 di fit and even out the 29" rear tires and the snowplow looks much better too. It works out great. I also put the front wheel weights on it too. I'm pulling a trailer loaded with firewood with it. Next comes the loading of the rear tires with liquid for added weight for traction.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:02 am

After doing some work and going off the beaten path in the woods I notice i need some added rear weight and maybe tire chains. My thoughts of loading the tires will happen soon and i have some odd ball large tire chains that i can make into a set for the 29" 12:50 15" AG tires. After all were breaking new ground here so its trial and error till i get the results i'm looking for so far no mistakes yet just progress....

The 29"-12:50-15" tru power AG tires need at least 10" wide rims if your going to do it.

Down the road when i can spare the $$ rather than buying tractors/parts i'm going for the 31" tru power tires for my jeep tractor. The 8ply tires are some really tough sneakers.

I just ordered a pair of 26"-12:00-12" tru power "AT" tires for my 100 with the tiller. I took the advise given here about tilling with the added height of the taller tires may not workout.

At the sametime i'm trying to outfit all my tractors with new tires and tubes were needed so once my restorations/rebuilds are done there good to go with no problems down the road.

My only problem right now is i have two sets of good year rear tires on rims that would make an awesome set of dually's but i need to buy another tractor..........