This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My cub cadet 70

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

My cub cadet 70

Postby BigBill » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:44 am

I'm having a blast with my cub cadet 70 with those 29" 1250-15" AG tru power tires. I think having a custom built tractor would be neat. Its the stuff inbetween the engine and tranny that needs to be reworked.(stronger)

Now its got me thinking and planning;

1. Adding the INT154 final drives. ( i'm not sure of the reduction ratio?)
Adding the int154 front axle if the finals being wider make it look silly.
By turning the int154 finals towards the rear i will have more wheelbase so i may or may not have to move the front axle location. Of course the rear frame on the 70 needs to be reworked to fit the 154 finals in it too. I would like to use the extra 154 finals i have because of the stronger rear axles. Then adding an FEL and subframe is possible? I know the front axle needs to be beefed up too.

2. Changing the reduction ratio of the orginal cub cadet tranny reduction.
In the pullers they offer some overdrive and underdrive gears for them. One set i'm looking at is a 47% overdrive that will speed up the first gear reduction. Then by adding the int154 finals it will reduce it somewhat again but it won't be too slow thats what i'm worried about. I would like to see 3rd gear become usable like 2nd gear is then 1st gear would be a granny gear thats what i want or would like to have.

3. Adding the 6 pin drive on the clutch with the puller setup on the clutch by going wityh all the heavy duty parts plus the pillow block bearing support.

4. Adding the int rear brakes or researching into making a disc setup. With the added power and weight its going to need better brakes. I do have a set of CC disc brake calipers(manual) or i can go hydraulic too.

Any thoughts?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: J7Z1B7

Postby trac48 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:46 pm

The 100
ImageImage
the 70

Merk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Merk » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:01 pm

The easiest and best thing you can do is find a blade for the 154 and use the 154.

One of the first things I notice is the rear tires are 6-8 inches wider than the blade. You can't push material very far until it is in the way of the rear tires. The blade will need to be wider.

Another thing that concerns me is the angle the motor is sitting. Rear crank bearing can't be getting the proper amount of oil that it should have. Rear crank bearing takes the most abuse. My 23 X 8.50s or 10.50s ag tires get all the traction I need depending on which tractor I use to push material.

Even if you raise the front so tractor sits level you will have to redo blade frame.

Tractor has to harder to steer since the steering geometery is change.

My Son's 86 has 10.50 ag tires filled with calcium. Tractor has 70 pounds of wheel weights on left side and 50 pounds of wheel weights on the right side. The tractor is set up to pull a moldboard plow. It has a 18-20 horse power motor in it. Only change to clutch was install a 800 pound spring in the clutch. I have no clutch slippage pulling a 10 inch wide moldboard plow 6 inches deep in 2nd gear. 86-108-128-800-1000-1200 Cubs have a faster 2nd gear than your 70 does which will make the plow pull harder. You will run out of motor before you destroy clutch.

Another drawback to a custom Cub is when it breaks you will have to make parts again.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:32 pm

Right now with the 29"12:50-15's on the rear the blade is wider than the tire width. If i add the finals from the 154 then the tires will be out wider than the blade is. I have a blade for my 154 that i may narrow down for the 70 to fix this problem if i deceide to go that way. I do plan on adding the 154 front tires so it will even out. I just wanted to show the larger ag tires on my 70, i was asked many times for pics. If i go with liquid in the 29" 12:50-15's its 116lbs per tire. Then i still have the wheel weight option too but I may not need the wheel weights the way the traction feels right now. If you look at the tilted down front plow bracket it should even out when I raise the front end with the taller tires. If i use 6" taller tires in the front thats 3" i'm raising the plow bracket. I may put on the 154 front tires on the 3/4" spindles just to see how it works out. Then i'll try to post more pics. I just want something stronger than a regular cadet and smaller than my int154. If i add the 154 finals with that reduction I have a feeling the 8hp kolher maybe ok but i do have a 10hp and a 14hp kolher if i need more hp standing by. I think the lower gearing will make make the difference. I wonder if the 800lb clutch spring is enough.

If this cadet build works out ok I may go even larger on the rear tires, i'm using 29" tall tru power AG tires right now and they do come in 31" and 36" tall too besides 15:50 on the width too. This is my test vechicle right now. Since i can play with the cadet reduction ratio's it opens up a whole new door for using larger tires. We have one of the best tranny's and setups to play with.

Now what got me into doing this is my neighbors 147 with the danco front end loader. It has the cement ballast on the rear and i put on two sets of rear wheel weights and with tire chains it still has traction problem when the bucket is full and he has the 14" turf tires on the rear. Now i want to see if i build up the rear traction if it solves that problem, i'm just feeling it out right now. So far its a big increase in traction without the weight.
Last edited by BigBill on Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby trac48 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:44 pm

Bill'S 100

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:14 pm

Thanks for posting my pics Gilles. BigBill

Trust me it looks meaner in person, i can't wait to bring it to a cubfest when its done. You have to see it in person.

Since i'm disabled and can't walk too far this tractor with the larger tires is my way to get around my property and visit my neighbor too.

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby trac48 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:22 pm

My pleasure Bill do enjoy, I for one find every thing that you do interesting :wink: