This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just bought my first USA cub cadet 124

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: J7Z1B7

Just bought my first USA cub cadet 124

Postby trac48 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks to the help of my friends Buzzard Wing, Souc10 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now we are organizing cub express with Gil. It's wonderful to be a member of this Farmall Cub family. :applause: :crazyline:

Thank you all. :treadmil: :treadmil: :wave:

PKS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PKS » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:56 pm

Gilles,

I am very happy you were able to acquire the 124. From our prior conversations, I know how hard you have been looking. It is as much fun looking for you as it was when I was in search for my own :D . Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Paul
Be The Change You Wish To See In The World ---

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:13 pm

Hey Gilles, congrats on finding one that you wanted. I'm sure there's more out there waiting for you.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby trac48 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:20 pm

Thank you Bill, Now to guet it home to CANADA OUfffff :spacecraft:

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:18 pm

Geez Gilles your on a roll??? Thats how many cadets now? I need more too!!!!!! I don't want to be too far behind everyone here. I need some hydro's next....and one more standard w/creeper for another build.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Gil
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gil » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:29 pm

Congrats Gilles !! Just let me know where Larry is and I'l try and hook up in a couple weeks. Is delivery Thanksgiving week still good for you? You sure I won't need a passport or any paperwork to get in and out of Canada?
Gil....

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby trac48 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:37 am

Gil sent you a PM: any news yet .Image

Gil
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gil » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:49 am

Hi Gilles,
Got your PM ok the other day and traded e-mail with Larry as well. We should be able to hook up in about 2 weeks and get the Cadet moved up to Vt. Then as we discussed I should have plenty of time during thanksgiving week to sneak it over the border.

I am a little worried though about it's safety. Do you have insurance?

There are some rumblings just south of me of a southern militia forming that's trying to put a stop to all movement of tractors to the north. I've infiltrated the group and found they mean business and it might get ugly.

Now, no need to worry about me, even though I've been in the south over 20 years, my Yankee roots run deep. I'll do what I can to keep the flow of tractors moving, I know how vital this mission is.
I should be ok under the cover of darkness but we might need to invoke some stealth methods. I'm thinking if I paint the cadet green they won't even notice as I drive right under their noses. And the quality of JD green is about as good as their tractors so it should wear off in no time.

Hope to see you soon,
Gil....

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby trac48 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:29 pm

Gil,

I hope everything goes well. As far as insurance is concern, I need the S/N to inquire for the coverage. But, you know Gil, you are covered with yours.

Now for the color, your choice is as good as mine. You will have to let me
know what border you will be coming across, or where we can meet.

In Montreal with your boss??????or what. I can send you a pic. of my truck, when you'll see it, you'll it's me. Now, what color is yours?.

Will we communicate by cell phone? If you think of anything else, just let
me know. Once again, thank you.

Gilles

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:47 pm

I can get the serial number off it. I would consider it farm equipment and not be too concerned about it. Gil, I recommend you have a birth certificate (with a raised seal), or even an expired passport works. I almost got stuck in Windsor, Ont on Christmas Eve the other year... no proof of citizenship.

It looks to be in good condition. BUT... It started right up in the truck and ran for a while, then just quit. Ether didn't work. Changed the plug quickly today and it didn't start, but no time to try the ether with it. Got a spark with the old plug but pretty whimpy. I will drag it into the garage one night this week and try some other tricks. Big Bill suggested the coil to plug wire so I will try that too. Then I will try the seller for other tips. (he shipped over the tire chains when he realized that he forgot to give them to me)

He knows all the CC guys, including the guy in PA that I bought the 49 from and ArtC's son David. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but will.

Larry
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby trac48 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:52 am

Larry, sounds like it ran out of gas check the shut off valve :wink:

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:36 am

I am getting better at troubleshooting.... or possibly just re-learning techniques from my old job.

Shut off is on and I put more gas in the tank.... (first step) then tried starting fluid (rules out fuel). Pulled the plug to check for spark and it was 'sideways' instead of at the tip. But I only spent a minute trying to start it with the new plug. (gapped at .024).

Fuel was my first thought too. It did run pretty well and started right up, but lots louder than a Cub!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:41 am

I go thru a ritual with every tractor(cub cadets) that i get.

1. Check and clean the fuel bowel sceen to make sure the gas is flowing.
2. Pull the carb and clean the bowel/needle seat.
3. Clean and gap the points, i like to stick a screw driver and work the points manually to see the voltage if none go to #7
4. Clean the coil were the ignition wire goes in and wire brush the wires end too.
5. Install a clean or new sparkplug.
6. Clean the battery cables.
7. Check the on/off switch for voltage to make sure its working.
8. Check the oil level before starting look for water, it will have a creamy gray color.
9. Check the compression to see if it has a stuck valve or bad headgasket.
10. If its running look at the front of the head to see if the headgasket is leaking. If it has an oil film in the area thats a clue you have a leaking headgasket.
11. If the cylinder is dry or gas washed you may add a few drops of oil to seal it again.
12. Check the ign wires on the switch and coil for frayed wires one wire can be hanging by 1 stran and it may look ok but a closer look will tell the story.

My first cub cadet 70 challanged me and brought everything back into my memory from the past. Remember trouble shooting is fun right?

I have had bad ign switches, a broken wire that goes from the coil to the ign switch, shorted points and leaky carbs I have been thru it all so far.

There's no exceitment like hearing that first puff of smoke when the old iron finally fires up.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby trac48 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:14 pm

could be interlock from cluch pedal If it started good and ran fine...must be very simple not a crak head or...any of those things,it is a simple thing :wink: if it turns ,has gass,and a spak,must be the cluch is not depress and there must be an interlock on it.what do you think

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:33 pm

I don't believe it has an interlock on the cutch. Too early for that and it shouldn't crank.

I am part way through trying a few things.... moved it closer to the garage (gotta move the gravely snow blower and a couple of other projects to get it inside). Before I moved it I tried it with ether...nuttin, checked the plug and the spark is at the tip, smells like gas. Played with the shut off (just like a Gravely L8/LI). Moved it to near the garage, swapped the coil wire with one from the cap on the 49 and it fired up, but didn't run a long time.

Had to hand out some candy to the goblins and the grim reaper (I have a couple of much better scythes, but last time I dressed up to hand out candy I scared a little one so much I said I wouldn't do that again! :shock: . So I will give it a try now....

Thanks again Bill for your wisdom in the PM and here, all I know about these little units is they are heavier than they look! :!:

I will get it!

Larry