This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet rear PTO whats it good for?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Cub Cadet rear PTO whats it good for?

Postby BigBill » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:18 am

With a rear PTO on a cub cadet what can i run off of it?

What rpm is it? Can i run a log splitter pump from it? I was thinking about a trailer logsplitter run from the CC's engine. With two quick disconnects on the rear. I want a log lifter and a hydraulic 3rd leg so its a hands free no lifting to put the splitter on the tractor hitch as i get older that could be a big advantage to have.

I need the engines PTO and flywheel pulley for other jobs. (FEL & alternator to power more work lights)
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:21 pm

Bill,
The simple answer.... Not Much!

The PTO is spinning at engine RPM, approximately 1600 rpm at full throttle. It is also spinning in the wrong direction for any typical PTO driven attachment. The shaft is also not a standard size for any typical PTO driven attachment.

Yes, I suppose that you could run a hydraulic pump, trash pump, or generator, and I have seen a couple of different variations of attempts at this.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:13 pm

As gitractorman said not much. Actually the rear PTO in a Cub Cadet turns much lower than 1600, because of the gear reduction on the front of the transmission. That reduction is 7 to 1, so at 3600 rpm full throttle, the PTO is only turning 514.2 rpm, and if you add in a creeper (4 to 1 reduction) it is only 128.57 rpm. Either way it is slower than a standard PTO, and turning the backwards.

The PTO on a Cub or a Lo-Boy also turns backward, but it turns at engine speed, and is probably what gitractor man was thinking of.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:47 pm

The best use for the rear PTO is with a right angle drive wit a flat belt pulley(there are 3 sizes but all I have ever seen is the 9") or just put a V belt pulley to run other equipment. You can buy Hub City reverses that sell for over $400 that will solve the spline problem. Can't get image to post
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Bermuda Ken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53536
Tractors Owned: Tractors owned past/present:

Farmall.....F-1206, F-806 sn#501.

Cub Cadet...Original(s), 122, Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782, 782 Diesel (2), 984, 982, CADET 000 LT Prototype.

Postby Bermuda Ken » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:17 pm

Its good for looks, not much for praticality.
Cub Cadets....Engineered for people who know better!

John B.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08527

Postby John B. » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:49 pm

On my fathers early 70's cub cadet it was used to power an I-H optional
roto-tiller. Hence the reduction mentioned in the previous post.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:34 pm

John B
I think you are talking about a different rear "PTO", kinda like mixing apples and oranges. The IH Cub Cadet rear tillers were driven by a long belt that ran from the front PTO clutch (same one that was used to drive the mower deck) back under the tractor to a right angle gear box. That gear box then drove the tiller by a shorter belt. That gear box was actually part of the tiller, but most people left them on the tractor all the time, and they were commonly called a rear PTO, but that is not a correct term. IH never built or sold a true PTO shaft driven tiller for a Cub Cadet. There is a PTO driven tiller available on some of the later MTD built Cub Cadets

The PTO in question in this thread is a true rear PTO, although it turns slower and backwards than a standard tractor PTO. It is a shaft from the rear of the transmission and is driven by the top shaft in the transmission. It is the same PTO that is on a Farmall Cub. There is a right angle gear box made for the Cub and Cub Cadet rear PTO that was used mainly for belt work, either "V" belt or flat belt, on things like a buzz saw, a hammermill, pumps, etc.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:19 pm

I did find out about an implement that uses the rear PTO. This was an E-mail I answer that I received from a guy that wanted to know if I had any information on the Groundsaw trencher that was made for the Cub Cadet. I only ever saw one and I don't remember the rear PTO being used. This fellow has 2 so I am going to try to get a picture of the 70 that he has working. I have a picture of the Hawke built ground saw and I think that's the one Rich Patton had at his place. I was told there may have been two manufactures of the Groundsaw or it may have been sold and the name changed.
William,
Thank you for your reply. The trenchers that I have are both Groundsaws. The rear PTO is used for moving the tractor/trencher forward while the trencher is in operation. The power for the trencher itself is provided through a front mounted Hydraulic pump.
As far as the complement of the rear PTO that I possess, I have a rear PTO for a CC 70, 100. The only difference is the three segment control linkage that was created to clear the newer model fenders and seat pan on the 102,122, and the 124. I guess the worst case scenario is that (If I doggedly continue in the 124 mounted direction) I can attempt to fabricate a similar setup only from the drawings that I have.
If you could ask Rich Patton about any documentation on his beast, I would appreciate it. There are a number of pictures that I have, and some copies of various sales literature. That is all.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:41 am

Here's a picture of the "groundsaw"
When I first saw the Danuser Hole Digger I though the auger was run by the rear PTO but it's run by a long belt like the tiller. It hasit'sown Hydraulic pump for up & down. Would really like to find both of these implements.