This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wild hogs

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Wild hogs

Postby Super A » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:29 pm

Mht wrote:I don’t mind having them around. Their rooting around has spurred some small plants to grow in some of my mature timber areas and they have cleaned up some nasty thickets around field edges. They have not caused any damage to my garden plots that I have electric fence around. On the other hand they cause lots of problems for the farmers in the area. They will hit a field shortly after it’s planted and go right down the rows rooting out and eating the seeds. Several people have told me they will ruin the deer hunting but I haven’t seen that. They make great sausage, even the big boars. I hope we never get overrun with them like a lot of places have but as long as the population doesn’t explode I kinda like having them around. We spend a lot of weekends at our farm in the spring and summer and I enjoy hunting them at night when I’m done working for the day. If it works like before they will be on my farm for a year or two and then move on once they work the woods over feeding and rooting around. Then the browse will regrow nicely before they return. They are very smart creatures and not easy to hunt, kinda like turkeys. And they are tough as nails, I’ve seen a big boar take multiple hits with a 12 gauge slug and never slow down

Give them time. After a while, they will be destroying everything. Like white tail deer, I would be perfectly happy if they just went extinct. Used to think deer were destructive, but they are nothing compared to wild hogs.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:17 pm

BACON!!!!!!!! good luck on getting rid of them....I'm contending on a smaller scale...darn mice...think the problem is over...its spring....move outside!!!
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:47 pm

Start setting your traps indoors in early October. Peanut butter is my bait of choice. Also, figure out where they’re getting in and seal those holes up. That’s for mice, not hogs. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

cubbrian
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47631
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub w/9 different 1 point implements
1948 Cub
1948 McCormick W-6
1949 H
1949 M
1961 560 w/ 412 fast hitch plow
1966 140
1973 666
Allis Chalmers C w/sickle mower
Case 400
Economy 14 hp tractor

Postby cubbrian » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:44 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Start setting your traps indoors in early October. Peanut butter is my bait of choice. Also, figure out where they’re getting in and seal those holes up. That’s for mice, not hogs. :D

Don, I bet it would work for hogs as well. It would just be easier to find out where they are getting in.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”