This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

first time tators

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

first time tators

Postby brewzalot » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Growing sweet potatoes for the first time here in my Wisconsin garden. Doing real good (considering the drought) except now the Japanese beetles moved in. They are starting to flower so I figure if I can keep the beetles off for just a few more weeks I'll be ok. That is, if sweet potatoes are similar to regular potatoes in the flower to harvest time frame?

Anyone have any tips for controlling them ? Its a small area so I would rather not use heavy insecticides if I don't have to. I tried spraying with just soap and water tonight, will see how that worked tomorrow.

thanks, Tim

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: first time tators

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:07 pm

Beetle traps.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:24 am

Don McCombs wrote:Beetle traps.

Placement is critical. Place them away from your taters to lure the beetles away from the taters.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:30 am

Bill is absolutely correct. Place them about 100 yards upwind from where the beetles are active. They use a pheromone lure to get the beetles to the trap.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:07 am

I'm using a Sevin insecticide spray for vegetables and fruits. There is a waiting period from spray date to harvest date and a limited number of spray applications per vegetable and season.

I have several small garden plots, 3 asparagus patches, blackberry trellis, apple trees, and horseradish patches. Hand sprayer and insecticide works well.
I have an excuse. CRS.

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:25 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Beetle traps.

Have some up already on the front of the house, to help keep them off the white birch. Thought that would help keep them out of the garden out back,( and maybe it has).

I know Sevin works and is labeled safe if used correctly... but was trying to avoid it just to avoid chemicals if I can. I have way too many hot peppers right now, was thinking of chopping and mixing them in with water and spraying the plants liberally. I wouldn't think that would hurt the potatoes ??

Pretty sure the soap and water I sprayed last night just gave the beetles clean feet :)