This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The Closing Of One Chapter In My Life

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

The Closing Of One Chapter In My Life

Postby ricky racer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:29 am

This year is a new chapter in my life, at least in my hunting life. I've been privileged to hunt with a good friend for many years. When we first started hunting together, I was only 19 or 20 years old. This season, I'll be 61. Gene was 20 years older than me and was originally from Pennsylvania. He came to Michigan and opened a motorcycle shop and race track. I was a motorcycle racer at that time and when he found out the I bow hunted there was an instant connection.

Gene hunted in PA when he was younger. In fact he was one of only a handful of bow hunters who hunted in Pennsylvania's first ever bow season. He hadn't had much chance to bow hunt after moving to Michigan. Together we hunted for years all over the state of Michigan, we hunted elk in Idaho and deer in his home state of Pennsylvania. Gene was one of the best natural hunters I've ever know and he's killed some huge bucks.

Over the years Geno had plenty of health issues, two open heart surgeries, knee and hip replacements and to complicate it all, diabetes. Through it all Gene proved to be one of the toughest men I have ever known. He continued to try to do the things he loved doing when most others would be setting on the couch waiting to die. The last few years he couldn't walk far from the truck so I'd drop him off close to where he wanted to hunt then go park the truck some distance away. We hunted in PA for the last 7 or 8 years spending a week out east and had a great time. Anything I ever did with Geno was an adventure.

One of Gene's favorite times to hunt was in the muzzle loader season (mid-December) in central Michigan. Him and I owned a hunting camp "up north" for years and always loved hunting that area. This last year he wanted to go up north again for a weekend of muzzle loader hunting, He took a 4 wheeler (quad) with him to help him get around. I thought it was a good idea. Gene knows that area like the back of his hand, However this year, things were different. The first time out on the quad he was lost most of the time undoubtedly due to the dementia that was effecting him to a degree. Gene realized that he wasn't quite right and sat quietly while we ate supper that night. He knew he was loosing it.

He asked me to shoot a deer for him because "I'll never get another deer again and I'm out of deer meat". I really didn't think I would get a chance to shoot something decent and wasn't going to shoot a small deer. Lake County, Michigan isn't know for decent bucks, mostly you could expect to see spikes, fork horns or small basket rack bucks. On that hunt with Gene I had a goal, to shoot him a decent buck so he could fill his freezer with some venison. That next evening the Good Lord delivered a beautiful buck in front of me at about 25 yards and I had Geno's deer. We left for home the next morning not knowing that this would be the last hunt we would ever have together. Gene died before he could get the meat back from the processor. :( He was a good friend and I am much richer for having known him.

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Re: The Closing Of One Chapter In My Life

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:51 am

Thanks for sharing Ricky...I too have wonderful memories of hunting with my uncle Virgil, RIP. The bonds forged while hunting are unbreakable.
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:56 am

Sorry for your loss Ricky. Since reading this, I've had "Fred Bear" playing in my head nonstop.
Jim

Circle of Safety

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:58 am

Sorry to read this...Great friends are hard to come by..... :( :( :( :(
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:19 am

Sorry to hear about your friend Gene. Thanks for sharing with us!
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks for sharing your story, Ricky. My hunting friend was more of a grandfather figure; learned so much from him how to turkey hunt. Thanks to him, in part, I'm very successful today in that area. But do miss our hunting trips together.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Thank you for sharing a great tribute to your friend; it is very well written. My condolences to you and Gene's family.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:02 am

Hi Ricky,
I haven't kept up to date with the forum for a number of weeks now due to open heart surgery 1 month ago, and my recovery is going fine. Reading your well written story of your lifetime hunting friend Gene RIP has made me realise how much the forum means. You have been extremely fortunate to have had such a good friend for a very long time and it shines through in your story how much you appreciated his company. Sorry for your loss, but the great memories you have will stay with you forever.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Mike H
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49945
Tractors Owned: IH 185
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Postby Mike H » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:21 am

thank you for sharing Ricky
its definitely tough loosing a hunting partner

Mike

RIP Joe.

cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.

Postby cub.bub » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:02 pm

Rick,
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of a good friend and touched by your well written tribute, I think both you and Gene were blessed to have had time together.
You're a GOOD Man.
Bruce.

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:07 am

My step dad was my hunting buddy. He's been gone 8 years now. Your story truly is remarkable. Cherish all your hunting memories.

Regards
WV Mike

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44333
Tractors Owned: Farmall cub 56-Spartacus
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub L-F1 Platform Carrier
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:58 am

Sorry to read this, Great friends are hard to come by. Sorry for your loss.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:03 am

My condolences to you .
We all have a last hunt here.
Don't know if knowing ahead of time would make the sting less ,but going would still be unquestioned regardless.
A fine buck in camp made Gene and your last hunt a red letter day and high note.
When I still had two legs I left some tracks in the deadstream swamp.
What a world , and good for the soul country.

Don't rush to catch up ...he's just younger and scouting for you two's eventual next hunt way far north of earth.
When not wrenchin on a project.

dolphins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16341
Tractors Owned: 1953 FARMALL SUPER A.

Postby dolphins » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:02 pm

What a beautiful tribute and story. Gene will be with you on all your future hunts, and there will be times you'll know it. He may send you a good buck, save you from falling, etc. But he'll be there. I believe in that stuff!
I'm a former PA bowhunter, who has just lost the desire to kill. But the things you see from a treestand!
Good luck this year, and r.i.p., Gene.
Mark
'' I live back in the woods you see.....my woman and the kids and the dogs and me-e-e."

"Any job worth doing is worth doing RIGHT." "Don't start any VAST projects with HALF-VAST ideas"