This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

8 KW Generator Set

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

8 KW Generator Set

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Purchased a Generac 8KW operating 10 KW surge generator set to fully power son's house during power outages. 8 KW is a bit over kill, probably could have gotten by with 6 KW. Moving the 4 KW gen set from son's shop to the acreage to be used as a portable. But that's not the story.

1st generator set purchased was assembled at home and tested. 240 volt outlet worked, the 2 each 120 receptacles didn't work. Looked on line for a schematic. The Generac site had a link. Posted my question and the initial response was that "I'm a retired diesel mechanic with an associate degree and for $16-, I'll tell you the answer".

The bird. I have better credentials. I just want the schematic, and besides that the gen set has a 2 year residential warranty for parts and 1 year parts and labor.

Son, a licensed maintenance electrician, checked out the generator set with same results. Said not to remove the cover plate, just return the gen set to the dealer. Did that. Next gen set works perfectly.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Re: 8 KW Generator Set

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:03 am

Looks like your well prepared for come what may. There is something to be said for a man who is self sufficient.
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:59 am

Number of years back, major ice storm, son was without commercial power for 14 days. Another time son was without power for 5 days.

The generator set will probably not get very much usage. But, when you have no commercial electricity, a stand by generator set is invaluable. Gotta keep the house from freezing up, pipes bursting, food spoiling.

The 4 KW gen set was marginal. We would unplug appliances and turn off lights before firing up the gen set. The slowly plug in one deep freeze at a time and then the side by side refrigerator/freezer. Didn't have enough output to power the electric kitchen range and other appliances.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:07 pm

I have a 4KW myself. Figure it will suffice if worse comes to worse. I recall my mother several years back with no power or heat for 4 or 5 days. She stayed through it with just some small propane heaters.
WV Mike