This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tractor mounted tillers and gardens

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Tractor mounted tillers and gardens

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:50 am

we are scaling back on our gardening now, but my wife and I have always put out a fairly large garden, and raised most of our vegetables for the year. when I got the Howard tiller for my cub it sure made the seed bed preparation a lot quicker and easier.

A few years ago I was needing some tines and called the Howard distributor for this part of the country, and he told me the L28 tiller used on the cubs was originally designed for the organic gardener or truck patch farmer. He went on to tell me the best way to use it was to plow the ground first, and then only till it 2" to at most 3" deep. I had been tilling 5 inches or so deep, which put quite a load on the cub, and decided to try his advice. Doing a little research I learned the reason for doing the preparation so shallow was to avoid killing the earthworms and destroying their tunnels, so i decided to also cultivate that way with my walking tillers. Since making those changes I have been having the best gardens I ever had, even with everyone else telling me how bad their gardens were due to the weather. Last year was the exception though, we had so much rain early in the season that much of the garden drowned.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: Tractor mounted tillers and gardens

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu May 04, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks for sharing this, I hadn't heard of this method. I normally till as deeply as possible (because of deep root weeds). Maybe I'll try this method this year.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu May 04, 2017 11:14 am

It's whatever works for you.--Here, it's deep and fast, so the roots can go down, and no it don't kill the worms OR toads!---gottum both because they love the loose dirt. thanks; sonny

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Here with a lot of clay the ground is hard, so you plow first then till shallow.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!