This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

pea seed- worms?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

pea seed- worms?

Postby brewzalot » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:50 am

For quite a few years now I cannot get peas to grow when planted in the garden... they either don't get a chance to sprout or sprout just a little and die. When dug up I find the inside of the seed has been eaten by what looks like small white worms. I can grow every other seed no problem, just not peas. Soil conditions, weather, nothing seems to matter, it always happens.

Not sure when they stopped selling seeds with that bright pink (what I believe was a pesticide?) on it, that may be about the time this started.

I've resorted to starting them indoors for a couple years now, it works, but its a chore to transplant them. Just so happens this is our favorite vegetable, so I'm not giving up.

Thoughts on this?
Thanks
Tim

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: pea seed- worms?

Postby SONNY » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Well,---I just replanted mine last night!!!---only had 1 seed out of 10 that made it up.----I am suspecting a micro bug/worm getting to them,too.---I think you are right on the pink stuff!---they can't leave a good thing alone!! (crackpot-crazies dont want seed treat on THEIR seed!--well I want it on mine!!!) thanks; sonny

DarinO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DarinO » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Sounds like wire worm to me. Never had them bother peas but are rough on corn seed and can ruin a tater crop with little holes in the taters. Jordan Seeds in MN still sells treated seeds. That's where I order mine. Have good varieties of different items I like. Good prices on large quantities, at least better than I have locally. A bit off topic, but when I was a kid my dad would give his pea seed a quick splash in a pan of terpintine to keep the moles from eating the seed. Didn't soak them or they would swell.
"that'll take the mule out of the melon patch!" Bub Baker

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon May 01, 2017 10:12 pm

The terpintine bath would sure deter moles,!---maybe other pest's as well!--Hmmmmm.--I didn't find wire worms, I know they can/will wreck a LOT of corn in the fields.--- some of them look to disappear a little at a time.--seems to be micro aphids or flea beetles?

I think the sweet tato plants have been shipped and I can't plant,-- so guess we might have to "heel them in " until the ground dries up a bit!---weather still kinda cold for them and mato plants.
Might try spreading the bunches out in bucket's/big pots of dirt and keep them inside til we can get them in the ground. (only have 500 plants!LOL!!!!) thanks; sonny

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby brewzalot » Tue May 02, 2017 3:05 am

Its so dad blasted cold and nasty I don't think anything is going to sprout. Put in a row of potatoes 2 weeks ago when we were much warmer, don't think they are too happy.

I got a hand held microscope, I think I'm going to plant a few pea seeds and take a closer look at the little buggers. If I can identify them maybe someone will know how I can get rid of them.

thanks for the replies-