This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Down Sizing.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Down Sizing.

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Big problem, just the wife and I at home. 2 kid have moved on, no local grandkids.

Lasagna, made about 1 1/2 quarts the other day. 3/4 quart in the freezer.

Tomorrow, S.O.S. for lunch, trying to vary the menu. Have all the ingredients on hand. Spent 20 years in the military and love S.O.S. The problem is the left overs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Re: Down Sizing.

Postby Landreo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:42 pm

30 years in the military, never had SOS although it was on the menu almost daily.
The latest military DFAC trend is Yakisoba. Never had that either.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:19 pm

Never had the Army version of SOS, made with ground beef. I do like creamed chipped beef on an English muffin, though. Yakisoba sounds pretty much like any type of stir-fry.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Got this picture from Erik on October 28, 2016...Field Chow;
Field Chow 10-28-2016.JPG

Spoon was his...a momento from Basic Training. Other than that, DFAC failed to bring plates, forks, spoons, etc. :surrender:

They were on a demolition training exercise, so improvise with packing materials from C4 and DetCord.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Mystery McNuggets, corn, BBQ sauce and half a bagel. Yummmmmm...

Sounds like Andy Miller, our old mess sergeant. He sold the issue rations, bought stuff like that and then pocketed the change.

Tell Erik I said Hi. Where is he now?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Ceing a reject I never had any experience with army food, but it had to be better than my own cooking. :x That being said, one of the best meals I ever ate was a K ration. When I was going to college in the late 60s I used to work part time on the US Forest Service spring tree planting crews, which meant I also got called for brush fires. About 6 one morning I got a call to get in as quick as I could. Dad was a mailman and had to be at work at 6:30, and Mom fixed both our lunches at the same time, so mine was ready. When I got to the station I jumped in the truck with Curt one of the full timers and we headed out. On our way to the first fire we split my lunch for breakfast. It was about 9 pm before we finally got a break, and Curt brought out a K ration and a can of tomato juice. We warmed the food on the truck manifold, and after 14 hours on fire lines with the only breaks being the time to drive to the next one and a quick gulp of water from a canteen now and then, that meal really tasted good.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Mystery McNuggets, corn, BBQ sauce and half a bagel. Yummmmmm...

Sounds like Andy Miller, our old mess sergeant. He sold the issue rations, bought stuff like that and then pocketed the change.

Tell Erik I said Hi. Where is he now?

Don,
Still at Fort Bragg,....but his WOCS Packet comes up before the review board on 1/22. If he's approved, he starts the "out processing" at Bragg in February before heading to Ft Rucker in Alabama in April.
He was home for a little over 2 weeks for Christmas, they traveled back to Bragg on New Years Day...because they had to sign in by 23:59 on the 1st, because 1SG and PL said so!

Thanks for asking.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Peter Person wrote:. . . they traveled back to Bragg on New Years Day...because they had to sign in by 23:59 on the 1st, because 1SG and PL said so!

I recall orderly room clocks routinely stopped at about 23:55, especially at the end of holidays.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”