This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Removal of tires - solo

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kaibel
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Removal of tires - solo

Postby Kaibel » Thu May 02, 2024 7:02 pm

Toggle switch is a good idea. I actually have a few of those layin around. Think it would work if I put it right on the alternator? I usually start it up and let it warm up a bit before I start anyway.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu May 02, 2024 7:11 pm

Kaibel wrote:Toggle switch is a good idea. I actually have a few of those layin around. Think it would work if I put it right on the alternator? I usually start it up and let it warm up a bit before I start anyway.
Would work if you can find a solid place to attach it. There is room under the side of the dash for a toggle switch.

I usually do my Cubs first start up from the ground. The WD Allis is to tall, I start from the seat.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Kaibel

Postby Kaibel » Fri May 03, 2024 11:16 am

Also, for the dash placement, I forgot about the spot for a cigarette lighter! One spare switch I have is actually made for that kinda hole. Gotta do some rewiring anyway. Prior owner deleted the clutch safety switch and apparently the wiring to the oil light for some oddball reason (prolly the leak..) along with them using…. Electrical tape in a spot or 2... Its crispy. Then gotta figure out which wires go to what, been slowly matching them to the diagram because not a single color is right. Thinkin I might label all the wires to make it easier later on if something goes wrong again. Seems like somebody has done work to this thing before. The gas tank is painted the right color but some has flaked off to show yellow paint underneath, so I don’t think its original. (Other spots with flaking/missing paint don’t have any yellow underneath. So unless IH just repurposed extra yellow tanks, the tank can’t be original.)

For the rear main seal, think I’ll wait on that till late fall. Too much to mow with the push mower. Its been doing it like a champ, but mowing an hour or two a day to keep up-ish just isn’t sustainable! That and the clutch is only a year old at this point…

And finally figured out a cheat for the tires using a old af squat/pull up rack, rated for 2klbs unmodified, as a jerryrig gantry with some minor mods. I wouldn’t use it on a motor, but to stabilize the non-weighted tires and other small parts for brake replacement, I think it will do just fine. (Its just about all steel square tubing with way too much reinforcement. Yay for cheap af yardsale finds from way too long ago.)

A benefit to it sitting for all this time is I have diesel sitting in the sparkplug cylinder head spots to try to free up whichever ring is stuck. If it doesn’t work, I’ll replace it when I do the rear main seal.

I appreciate all the help from yall!! Thanks!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed May 08, 2024 10:36 am

for the alt switch---use a pushbutton switch! THEN the next time you go to start the battery wont be dead cause you will ALWAYS forget to turn off a toggle switch!! ( DONT ASK!!!)

Kaibel

Postby Kaibel » Wed May 08, 2024 11:29 am

I appreciate it! Thats a good idea. I can order one. Gotta wait anyway, cause solenoid ended up locking up as well. Whoever had it before put a rando one from a kubota on it. Takes a whack from a hammer to get it to start, and sometimes to stop it.. So, got one coming in the mail, an oem style one.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed May 08, 2024 1:16 pm

SONNY wrote:for the alt switch---use a pushbutton switch! THEN the next time you go to start the battery wont be dead cause you will ALWAYS forget to turn off a toggle switch!! ( DONT ASK!!!)
Yup. Forgetting to turn off the switch will deplete the battery.

Any way, you will only forget a couple of times. Then you won't forget.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu May 09, 2024 10:03 am

did that on the first New Holland skidder I had! --FINALLY decided on a pushbutton instead and problem solved! lol!

Kaibel

Postby Kaibel » Sat May 11, 2024 11:54 am

Eugene wrote:
SONNY wrote:for the alt switch---use a pushbutton switch! THEN the next time you go to start the battery wont be dead cause you will ALWAYS forget to turn off a toggle switch!! ( DONT ASK!!!)
Yup. Forgetting to turn off the switch will deplete the battery.

Any way, you will only forget a couple of times. Then you won't forget.

Knowing me, prolly! If I forget too much, I do have an old switch meant for an AC power supply. Has the tiniest little bulb that goes inline with it. Would have to use a different bulb for DC, but will help if I end up forgetting too much lol.

getitrunning
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 37881
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1948 w mower
Farmall Cub 1949
super A w/cultivators
super A w/woods 59
cub low boy 154
cub cadet 1864
Yanmar 1500D
Belarus 525
Ford 4000 1962 Diesel

Postby getitrunning » Sun May 12, 2024 12:28 pm

if the tire bead is rusted on the rim the only way ive ever gotten them loose is with blade edge of bucket loader pushing down right at edge of rim
that was when I was younger and more capable.a pair of genuine ken tool tire tools is a must if changing tires yourself. Ive bent up every tire tool ive ever gotten from harbor freight or northern hydraulics
lately I just bring the wheel to local farmers coop and they are experts and worth every penny for what they charge to replace a tube or tube and tire.