This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lo Boy 154 PTO stuck on

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ibdilbert
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43015
Tractors Owned: Cub Lo Boy 154
Cub Lo Boy 185

Lo Boy 154 PTO stuck on

Postby ibdilbert » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:57 pm

I purchased a 1970 154 lo boy cub last week and mowed with it for the very first time this weekend. It did great and I mowed for about an hour, except when I disengaged the PTO, the PTO stayed engaged and the blades kept spinning. I shoved up and down on the handle and it felt ok, but the PTO stayed active. Finally I shut the tractor off And let it sit for a while. After a few hours I went back out to see if I could trouble shoot it and the PTO was off when I started it, and it engages and disengages just fine now. Anyone else have this issue?

Here is the tractor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e26De8KoqZw

Thanks!
-Tim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Lo Boy 154 PTO stuck on

Postby SONNY » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:26 pm

The problem I had was getting mine to stay engaged ! also slipped until I rebuilt 2 of them. These clutches are a poor setup for this mower, BUT they do work. Takes a lot of care and adjusting on them.
You may have a bunch of dirt in yours.-- Do you have the rubber band around the middle of your drum??? If not a lot of dirt can get into the balls and slides. You may have to take it somewhat apart and clean the tracks and check for abnormal wear. thanks; sonny

aparnell572
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14120

Postby aparnell572 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:51 pm

Over time the friction plates will dig grooves into the clutch cup so when you disengage the pto the friction plates are stuck together. It's easy to spot pulling the rear panel off.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Landreo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:03 am

ibdilbert wrote: I shoved up and down on the handle and it felt ok, but the PTO stayed active.

Thanks!
-Tim

The handle should be hard to pull and engage with a snap. If that was true then the clutch likely is OK.
If not then look at the two large throw-out bearings. If those bearings are bad then the PTO can stay on but the handle should not engage with a snap, it should move loosely up and down.

If the handle engaged with a snap even when the PTO was stuck in the on position then grease the two pilot bearings. If the bearings are stuck then the PTO will stay on and the PTO handle will engage and disengage with a snap just like normal. You can get to the grease fitting through the hole in the sheet metal just behind and to the left of the back of the seat. May need to turn the PTO pulley to see the fitting.

I would just remove the PTO and inspect the pilot bearings and the two throw-out bearings and adjust the clutch if needed.
There is nothing complicated or special about the clutch. It is easy to work on and adjust.

ibdilbert
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43015
Tractors Owned: Cub Lo Boy 154
Cub Lo Boy 185

Postby ibdilbert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:56 am

I wouldn't call the handle a "hard" pull, but it does snap into place. Maybe a soft to firm pull would describe how mine feels. I'll tear into it this weekend and see what I find out! Maybe I'll get lucky and just need to use some grease! ;)

toehead
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01756

Postby toehead » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:49 am

Next time if that happens try try rapidly changing the RPM of the motor. If the plates are stuck in worn grooves in the cup, they should pop out on decel.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”