This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 rear main seal replacement

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
otg76
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43076

184 rear main seal replacement

Postby otg76 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 pm

I am new to this forum, but not new to the features and benefits of the IH 184. I have owned a couple 154's and in my opinion the 184 is far superior to the 154. I currently have 3 of the 184 models. One needs the rear main seal replaced and I have read about the services of TST and would like to know how to contact him. I bought a new seal, but have gotten intimidated by all the problems I have read about and I am reluctant to attempt the repairs on my own. Please help!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 184 rear main seal replacement

Postby Glen » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:14 am

Hi,
If you are taking the tractor apart, you could try putting the new seal in the retainer you have.
The seal should fit tight in the retainer, and need to be driven in. Use a clean, flat piece of steel, or similar, to set on the new seal, to hammer on. Don't hammer directly on a new seal.
Be sure the seal lip is facing ahead.
Tighten the rear 3 bolts for the oil pan gently, the retainer is soft metal, and the threads can strip if the bolts are tightened too much.

If the seal is loose in the retainer, so you can push it in with your fingers, then you should buy a repaired retainer, with seal, from tst. Send him a private message, you get to that at the top of the page. tst, small letters, is the name for the message.
Below is a new retainer at TM Tractor you can look at, if you have not seen a retainer before.
The ones tst sells are less money than the new one, the last I know of. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/377fp.htm

wagonmaster
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14830
Tractors Owned: 108
1969 154
1971 154

Re: 184 rear main seal replacement

Postby wagonmaster » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:34 pm

I did this job on one of my 154's earlier this summer and the job went well. Thanks tst for the excellent service.