This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 Governor issues (?)

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37857

184 Governor issues (?)

Postby fordyford » Wed May 08, 2019 1:23 pm

:help: I mow five + acres weekly with a 184 and 3160 mower. Last year was uneventful. Flawless second gear operation.

This started earlier this spring, when doing a long uphill pull, the engine would bog in second gear and gradually lose rpm until it stalled. Restart and it would run fine with mower off.
Would run in first gear ok.
Then it started doing the same thing in first gear.
Then it would only run with pto engaged downhill.
Then it started doing it when the pto was switched on.
Now it's doing it just pulling off, no pto, and WOT.
Governor arm is throwing the carb throttle wide open, then the rpms fall off, and it stalls.
Not running, the governor arm/carb is wide open. Is this normal?
Running in neutral, you can manually rev engine via governor/carb rod, but at WOT, the stall starts.
Thought maybe it was a fuel issue, so stripped down the carb (twice) and blew everything out, checked float levels with no improvement.

Can't find anything but vague generalities for governor operation and setting in the svc manual.

Or is it something else entirely?? :lost:
Thanks in advance!
Some of my ancestors mighta hanged by their necks, but none of them ever hanged by their tails.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Re: 184 Governor issues (?)

Postby Larry B » Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Try running it with some choke on. Try different amounts of choke. If it runs better with some choke you have a fuel delivery problem. Clean the carb main jet.
Have you checked for good spark? Should jump a 1/4" gap. If not check point resistance then replace coil.

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fordyford » Wed May 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Thanks.
What makes it gradually lose rpm and finally stall if it's ignition, even with the slightest load?
Some of my ancestors mighta hanged by their necks, but none of them ever hanged by their tails.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Larry B » Wed May 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Coil can be crapping out. If the spark can jump a 1/4" gap in air it will run the tractor. If you pull the linkage to WOT and it dies not governor problem. Either fuel spark or compression.

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fordyford » Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 pm

I agree, but I'm not an expert. Coil replaced last year.

Governor throws open carb throttle. Stalls. First suspected fuel.
Disassembled, Cleaned and blew out carb passages. Still stalling
Checking ignition tomorrow.

Meanwhile, rain in the forecast, and grass is still growing!
Just getting tired of the continual maintenance, hit and miss dependability and aggravation.
I have a 32 Ford that is more dependable. All I want to do is cut grass.
Thanks for the advice!

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Larry B » Wed May 08, 2019 6:01 pm

When you cleaned the carb did you remove the main jet and clean it? Bottom right of bowl. Half inch wrench takes it out. Biggest reason for fuel starvation. Will idle fine but won't run on the high speed jet. Also if you have installed a paper fuel filter pull the line off the carb and be sure you have good fuel flow. Many paper filters won't work on gravity systems.
Sure sounds like fuel to me.

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fordyford » Wed May 08, 2019 8:20 pm

Yes, I did that first, thinking the same. Along with everything else. Used Carb cleaner, air, torch cleaner wire. Still the same.
Pulled carb again, checked everything around needle valve, float setting, etc. Still the same.
More opportunities tomorrow. Yippee.

ibdilbert
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43015
Tractors Owned: Cub Lo Boy 154
Cub Lo Boy 185

Postby ibdilbert » Wed May 08, 2019 9:45 pm

Mine started doing something similar this year, when pulling up hills it would slow down and almost stall. It struggled with tall grass and didn't last year. Replaced the points and condenser and it seems fine now.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu May 09, 2019 6:39 am

Like the others, I first want to go to fuel and spark. I think next I'd be replacing the air cleaner and making sure that the fuel tank is venting properly. I would also be looking closely at the carb low-speed air inlet. Perhaps it is stumbling during acceleration and this is regulated by the air passage adjustment on the top of the carb.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fordyford » Fri May 24, 2019 9:34 pm

UPDATE
NO CHANGE!!!
Replaced the coil with a new Standard.
Checked and gapped points
Pulled gas tank and cleaned everything. Sediment bowl and mount, fuel line.
NO CHANGE!!!!
Took carb off the other PITA 184, disassembled, cleaned everything.
NO CHANGE!!!!!

I think I'm going to move the mower deck over to the other 184. But I Have to pull FEL off first.

Is it possible that the engine is too worn to handle the load? Guess a compression check is next.

:surrender: I'm ready to sell out!! Anybody out there interested?

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Larry B » Fri May 24, 2019 10:16 pm

Have you check the timing at fast idle? Should be 16 degrees BTDC. Have you check fast idle RPM? 2500
Do you deliver to ohio?

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fordyford » Sat May 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Haven't checked the timing. Guess I'll do that along with the compression check.

Can't figure out what changed since early spring.

Thanks for the response; delivery possible, but Ohio's a big state :D

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Larry B » Sat May 25, 2019 7:00 pm

These engines are not powerhouses to begin with. If timing is retarded just a few degrees of not reaching max RPM will be down on power. Be sure to check the distributor mechanical advance. If it is seized/rusted in the idle position tractor will start run fine but be low on power. Weights and springs are under the point plate.
Southwest Ohio. Short drive from the Volunteer state.

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fordyford » Sat May 25, 2019 7:27 pm

Thanks for the tips.
The mystery, at least to me, is with it in neutral, the revs will go way beyond 2500. I actually experimented with a pull rod attached to the governor/carb linkage. It would definitely over Rev.
It mows downhill, with the pto engaged, but get on the slightest uphill grade or unusually high grass, and it will slowly bog down to a stall. There is no joy running uphill, switching on the mower, and mowing downhill. This is at least 500 feet one way. Five acres split by a driveway, plus a couple more one acre plots
Thanks for the tip on the advance. Is the notch on the crank pulley at 16° BTDC?

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub