This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 with loader

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37857

184 with loader

Postby fordyford » Thu May 09, 2019 8:04 pm

My second PITA is a 184 with a FEL and a three point. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :lol:

What was the engineering thinking behind using this platform for a FEL? Almost impossible to steer at slow speeds with the bucket loaded. A small clutch that is the weak link in doing any bucket loading. And turf tires that spin with the least resistance.

Can anyone PLEASE help me with some experience so I can use this thing for something other than a lifting device? Thanks!
Some of my ancestors mighta hanged by their necks, but none of them ever hanged by their tails.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 184 with loader

Postby Eugene » Thu May 09, 2019 8:35 pm

They do make great lawn mowers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu May 09, 2019 9:23 pm

I disassembled one of my three int154’s to add a fel and backhoe. I found the orginal frame very weak. I got the two uprites and front subframe built. I double walled the front frame rails. There was missing verticle welds under the radiator frame. I guess so the frame would flex if the axle stops were hit. My plans are to tie in the finals to the 3pt hitch subframe. W quick disconnect for the backhoe and weight box. I have a complete creeper drive to add too. I think any power steering box should be adaptable with the pump.

The orginal 154 with a fel is probably better over the one arm cyclops fel on the fcub

I figured I can build what I want rather than spend $50k on a tractor loaded. I didn’t plan on getting sick.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri May 10, 2019 5:23 am

You definitely have the wrong tires for this type of work.
Need AG tires on the rear (use 154 or cub rims and ctr's) (Chains and wheel spacers will work in a pinch)
Need skinny 3-rib tires on the front (Cub) to help with the steering.
Take a look at this brochure.

Toehead found a way to add power steering. Maybe something like this would help?
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=102865

As for the clutch, I think the first thing I'd do is replace and harden the end of the driveshaft. That way when the clutch goes, you are just replacing the clutch plate rather than the plate and the driveshaft. I don't really think the clutch is undersized for the tractor (It is only 18 horses). I haven't really ever had my clutch slip when engaged and pulling.
I definitely don't love the spline interaction between the clutch plate and the driveshaft. The splines seem to wear out well before the clutch material.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37857

Postby fordyford » Fri May 10, 2019 11:20 am

One of my concerns was that if you added ag tires that wouldn't spin, then you would increase the load on the clutch.
I tried loading gravel from a pile, and that didn't go well. Could only load about 1/4 bucket before the tire spin. Of course, that was all it would steer and stop with.
Tried moving some packed dirt with no results except a hot clutch and spinning tires.
BTW, this tractor also has a creeper, so had use of all the gear ratios.
Maybe I just need some more practice with it.
Thanks for the suggestions, especially that brochure.
Some of my ancestors mighta hanged by their necks, but none of them ever hanged by their tails.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon May 13, 2019 2:02 pm

Sounds like you need more weight on the rear to keep those back tires on the ground.
- Be careful though. The frame is easily compromised near the rear axle.

Some people talk about the loader for a cub or numbered lowboy like it is a wheelbarrow. I don't own a loader for a cub or numbered lowboy and have never used one. I don't know if it will haul leaves and grass or a teaspoon of loose dirt. I have seen a few front (and rear) tires changed using the loader like a jack. (don't do this - unsafe work practice)
The loader manual should indicate the safe load lifting capability.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue May 21, 2019 12:50 am

What convinced me to build my int154 is I borrowed a cc 147 with a fel. You can laugh but I moved dirt with this little guy. If you think cub cadets can’t work I took my 70 cc with the plow and leveled off three yards of dirt everytime the dump truck dumped it. That little machine proved its worth. I’m sure the number series can work hard too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”